Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here, some advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graceful_Lily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: New here, some advice? Reply with quote

I was advised by my mother to come looking online for some info on our mold problem. I was wondering how to tell of the mold I have is harmfull. I have two small daughters and after reading some of the information out there I am really starting to fear for their health. Moving for us would be very hard right now with our financial situation but if what we have is some form of harmful mold I'd like to try to get us out of here. I'm just praying we're not in some sort of imminent danger because I don't know how long it would take for me to get us a new place to live. We are renting, BTW, and our landlord says we signed something when we moved in that makes any mold we have our problem. I could post some pictures if anyone might be able to help. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Also, she said I have to stop cleaning it as that could be harmful to me, is this true? It just looks so gross I hate to have people see it.
Graceful_Lily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded the pictures so I figured I'd just post them. i am so afraid right now that I have something in the house that might be hurting us. I just don't know what I'll do if it is, we don't have anywhere to go. I truly hope it's something that can be easily dealt with.

This is my kitchen/dining room, the whole perimeter of the ceiling and the wall seams pretty much all look like this:

This is my bathroom:
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a copy of the rental agreement/lease? I can't imagine that you would be responsible for mold or any other damage unless you weren't maintaining the home. If you don't have a copy, ask your landlord to provide you with a copy of the agreement you signed, and ask him where it places the responsibility on you. What state are you in? If you aren't successful with your landlord, some states have protection for renters in situations like this. I'm in Illinois and we have some laws that protect renters, and I know California has the Department of Fair Housing. You can also check with your county/city health dept.....

I don't know if that is mold....but it looks like it.......I wouldn't worry so much about what kind.....It is growing in plain Mold Help, and I would think it needs to be removed. Good Luck!
Graceful_Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply. I am in Oregon. I contacted my county health department today and they are sending me a "packet of information" which the woman on the phone said should answer any questions I have. She said if not there are numbers of other agencies who should be able to help me.

Also, thanks for the suggestion about getting a copy of the paperwork she says we signed. I will definately send my husband over there tomorrow to see what he can get ahold of.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, why don't you clean it? It looks like its growing on the bathroom ceiling.

Likely due to high humidity. Are you running the vent fan during and after showers? Open the window at least?

Wipe down the ceilings with a little soap, bleach and water. Or even TSP.....but clean it up.
Graceful_Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned it several times. It just comes right back. I've tried soap and water twice and bleach and water several other times. I clean it off but you can still see it in the paint and within days it's back. Any suggestions for something that might work better? And is it safe for me to clean it? My mother says I shouldn't be scrubbing it as it releases it into the air. If it's not harmfull I'll try anything to get rid of it.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiping it up is better than leaving it to grow. Its like a microscopic dandelion patch. Keep pulling the weeds or they will take over.

Is there something leaking up in the ceiling?

You need to get it clean, and make sure it stays drier so that the mold can't grow.
Graceful_Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll scrub it again tomorrow. I just know the nasty stuff will be back. I'm just glad you don't seem to think it will be harmful to me to do so. I've been reading some of the horror stories here and I was getting really afraid of what it might be. They cut every corner when they made this place so I really have no idea about leaks or ventalation. I suppose I could try leaving the windows open for a week or so after I clean it again and see what happens. It is so cold here in Oregon right now but it's worth it if ventilation is the problem. Do you have any other preventative suggestions? Thank you for your information.
Graceful_Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add, there are no visible leaks.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would try not to be inhaling a whole of it, but there are techniques to wipe in a more effective manner.

You don't want to scrub it back and forth. TAke a disposable rag, the cheap white ones from Home Depot is what we use. They are about $7.00 for 24 of them. Dunk them in a bucket with warm soapy water and a couple capfuls of bleach. No need to use a lot.

Wring them out and fold them into quarters. Wipe one direction only, as if you were trying to pick up dust. Not back and forth. Then fold the rag to a clean section, and continue until you run out of clean spots. then use another rag....

I imagine you could prime and repaint the walls in that room. Use a heavy duty primer, and I'd say an oil based enamel paint for the finish coat. Two coats of a semi gloss should work great.
Graceful_Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I will do exactly that first thing in the morning. I saw somewhere that there are special paints to prevent mold so I think I might check into that also.

I really want you to know how much I appreciate your help.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use an alcohol or laquer based primer. Like a Zinser Bullseye. Its got a strong odor, but it dries very quickly.
Microbialman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got mold! If you keep wiping up the mold and it re-appears you most likely have a continuing moisture intrusion/regeneration problem. The source(s) will have to be stopped to prevent future growth. Mold Pros cleaning techniques are correct.

To try and determine if the growth is potentially harmful, the mold will require sampling and laboratory analysis.
Adpetepfa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love anal!
http://I-Love-Anal.info/videos/mediaplayer.php?file=185826
Mobasup4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britney Spears Spreading Outdoors!
http://Britney-Spears-Spreading-Outdoors.org/WindowsMediaPlayer.php?movie=115169
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: