Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wall sweat.. a sign of something more?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Wall sweat.. a sign of something more? Reply with quote

I've checked online and there just doesn't seem to be any information that I can find on this and I can usually find just about anything. :)

We moved into the 2nd floor of a two family several months ago. In both the kitchen and the bathroom a yellow brown sweat seems to collect and drip down our walls. At first I thought it was just a sign of dirty walls but I've been wiping this up for months now. The walls can't still be that dirty. I expect condensation in these two rooms for the obvious reasons. This house is almost 100 years old and I was thinking it might have been from something reacting with the horsehair plaster. For two reasons I wonder about this though. #1) I grew up with horsehair plaster and don't ever recall either our bathroom or kitchen sweating #2) its dripping down the solid wood doors as well. Its hard to tell you definitively what color it is. Our bathroom is painted the most hideous 70's green so the sweat looks yellow. On our pale beige kitchen walls it appears more brown. Also, since it is 0 degrees F outside and there is NO humidity outside, the fact that we have a 70% humidity in our apartment concerns me as well.

If this isn't being caused by steam reacting with anything mold related, does anyone have any ideas what is happening here? Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm tired of washing my bathroom walls from ceiling to floor twice a week.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be condensation? Cold walls vs warm moist area = condensation.

But why is the house so moist inside? An old home like that has go to be leaky as heck. (Air leaky) Is there a plumbing issue somewhere in the home? Vents for when you use the showers? Dryer vent to the exterior??
Quela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure its condensation causing the sweat but where is the color coming from? Its on walls in rooms farthest from the street so its not street grime. We have 4 air filters placed in various areas of the apartment. I've wiped down the bathroom walls from ceiling to floor so many times I can't count so I really don't think its dirty walls. I even stopped using chemicals when I did it in case they were the cause of the coloration. I'll take some pictures but I just wiped down the walls last night so there isn't much visable drippage. There are no vents in either room and while we made sure to keep the windows open for that reason in the summer, its a little unreasonable to do so when its -2F outside. All the windows were newly replaced before we moved in. We don't use our heat (forced steam) too much since we like it on the chill side and are on the second floor. It was unseasonably warm until a couple weeks ago and we didn't even turn the heat on for the first time til the first week of December. We've had this problem since August when we moved in. A friend of mine made a comment about mold since our humidity is so high in here and thats why I'm here typing away at you all totally clueless and maybe entirely misguided.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sounds like excessive moisture in the home...but why? What is the cause of it?

If the wall is cold, and the inside air cold and humid the moisture will condense, like it does on the side of glass of ice water.

Reduce moisture load, or warm up the wall.....unless something inside or above the wall is leaking as well. could there be something totally wacky going on...bees in the wall cavity? Some other types of tannins or wood sap leaking out???
Microbialman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone smoke inside or do you frequently use candles? How about cooking indoors using oils and grease? All potential sources of a brown staining discoloration.

MM
Quela

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No smoking, no candles (or very very rarely - think we've burned 2 candles for a total of 6 hours since we moved in), not a heck of a lot of cooking either. Only two of us and we work different hours so we are a microwave sort of couple. *giggle* I have found black fuzzy mold on a few window casings, but they looked like what I grew up with and were on the nonporous surface so i just soaked them with lysol and wiped them up. Now I have found a green dusty looking mold on the window sills of the bedroom window. I'm greatly concerned now that i have been reading so much that the constant sinus symptoms and headaches and eye aches i've been having for several months are caused by all this humidity in here letting things bloom where I can't see them... and now where I can. I don't think we are going to renew our lease but have several more months left here. :(
Moldpro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of furnace system do you have? I wonder if its working properly.....soot buildup and even mold can be distributed by a poorly maintained system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: