Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I be worried?? Pics inside....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Should I be worried?? Pics inside.... Reply with quote

My bedroom ceiling has been like this for what must be about ten years, I have also had really bad health for the same amount of time. Could this mold be making me ill at all? A blood test years ago showed that I was really allergic to dust mites, this allergy seemed to start around the same time as the mold. Please help, I would like any advice! I only found out last month just how dangerous mold can be! At one point one whole side of my bedroom was black, it got out of control and nothing was done about it, then we finally used some mold killer but maybe to late? Not all of it could be removed, these stains remained....

Any advice please?
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to tell just from those pictures. Tell us why it looked like that for ten years? why didn't you get it fixed?
Nas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldpro wrote:
hard to tell just from those pictures. Tell us why it looked like that for ten years? why didn't you get it fixed?

Why is it hard to tell? Do you mean because the mold could be where you can't see, like in the loft or behind the ceiling?

So it was about ten years ago, I must of been about 17 and living with my parents. Me and about four friends were playing computer games in my small bedroom. Then all of a sudden all the wall near the window and the ceiling started getting wet, then some of the ceiling started peeling away which you can see in the pic because it was so wet. Then after that day it just got worse, everything started to go black. I would describe it as big round black patches and some smaller patches as well. I would try and get rid of it with water and a cloth, some of it would go but not all and it kept coming back. It wasn't so bad in the summer months, but when it got colder It got worse and worse until like one side of the room looked black. Not just the ceiling went black but the walls as well. I didn't know it could be bad for your health, like I said I have only just found out. My parents didn't seem to take it seriously and were in no rush to fix it. My mum and dad said it went black because I was in the room too much but i knew that wasn't right. After everything got really black we spent the day cleaning it with mold cleaner but as you can see from the pics there are still black stains....

Then we had the roof re-felted and my dad say's the problem is now sorted but is it fixed?? It did improve things but I wouldn't say it was fixed, it got out of control and maybe we left it a bit late. I mean what about the other side of the ceiling, maybe it's all black where you can't see. The black stains are horrible, and they do feel colder to touch then the parts of the ceiling that are white. plus I do see some new black bits from time to time that I just clean with tissue. I always feel really ill and have so many strange symptoms. I feel even worse in the winter months, I live in the UK btw. I have only been diagnosed with TMJ and allergies, some doctors said I could have chronic fatigue syndrome. I just want to know if this mold could be making me ill at all, and if it's normal mold or the more serious stuff.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like mold from your description. Symptoms you describe are in line with mold exposure. i'd suggest you have it tested and see what they say.
Nas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if I already used mold killer does that not work at all? Are they not just black stains on the ceiling? Can that black still be releasing spores into the air etc?
Moldpro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to be removed from the surface and from the inside. There's no real point in using a "killer" if you are removing it anyway. ONe less chemical for you to inhale....
Nas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say you have mold caused by a leaky roof, then you fix the roof, is the mold no longer active once the roof is fixed? Surely that stops the mold?
nestegger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nas, my understanding of mold (in layman's terms) is that there are three forms of it: the black stuff you see, the thousands of invisible spores that are released when the mold goes dormant from lack of moisture, and the invisible toxins that are released from the spores, which make people sick. It's all mold. And it's self-replicating. All those spores are in the air, just waiting for a drink to start growing again. That's why mildew keeps returning in the shower.

If that stuff has been growing on your wall and ceiling for ten years and you are having health problems, you may have a serious mold problem that needs more remediation than applying a "mold killer". You must hire reputable air-quality control company to test your room for mold. The test will show what kinds of mold you have and in what quality. Then the testing company will recommend a course of action to resolve the problem.

Don't delay and good luck, Terry
nestegger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Do a lot of reading on this Mold Help. There is a wealth
of knowledge here.
Nas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Terry. But all molds look different right? Can't you tell anything from the pics I posted, I mean does the mold look toxic? I live in the UK, can you get toxic mold in the UK or is it more in places like america?

Like I said my dad doesn't seem to take it seriously, he seems to think the problem has been sorted after he fixed the roof. But I don't think he knows that much about how bad for your health mold can be. I can't afford to get people in and i don't think my dad will pay. I don't know what to do because I feel ill and nothing gets done about it, it just goes on and on....

Maybe I should stay round someones house for while to see if any of my symptoms go. How long would it take for my mold symptoms to disappear if i leave for a while?
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, all molds are toxic.

When you have water dammage like in the picture you can also have bacteria and other things growing there.

Thats looks like mold to me.

If your sick and you feal better when you move away, then its sick buliding syndrome.

Dont stay if it ruins your heatlh, It only gets worse.
nestegger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nas, I don't have any expertise about mold, but the experts
on this board have stated that you can't tell what kind of mold
it is just by the pictures. My concern about your mold is that it
isn't just on the surface but may be growing behind the walls
where you can't see it.

I would show your dad some articles from this Mold Help, starting with
the lead article on the home page. Scroll down the left side and
read some of the Personal Stories, as well as other letters on
the discussion board. Most people are unaware of the problems
mold can cause; my husband still thinks I over-reacted when we
had mold in our house. We don't discuss it anymore.

It would be an interesting experiment to move out of your room
and see if your symptoms improve - a friend's house or even
another room in your house.
Nas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both!! I guess then I will have to get out the room and see if there is any improvement in my health. How long will it take for my symptoms to disappear once I am out the room if it's the mold causing them??
Toxic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that many people are a;;ergic to mold, but the mycotoxins are the worst enemy. I suugest that you have the place tested. If you cannot afford it, go to the front page of this Mold Help and cliack on inexpensive mold testing. Either way, you need to know what is bothering you.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
Nas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Thanks, I would like to do a simple cheap mold test. But isn't that mold testing you told me about american, I live in the Uk so wouldn't be able to use that right? Can you still buy them cheap testing kits in the UK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: