Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mulch and mold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Mulch and mold Reply with quote

We have mulch all around the house with some plants (but stone right up against the foundation) and have not had any new put down for a year or two (spent all our money on mold remediation). The leftover mulch under the kitchen window smells musty sometimes so hubby is having someone take away some of it and put hemlock down. Before we had cedar. Is hemlock better for not getting moldy? He did hear it repels bugs.

My concern is when they take up the old mulch there and other places in the yard that spores are going to fly and land on my newly washed windows and screens and I can't do them again as I shouldn't have done them in the first place with my spine being 10.9% below fractu4e level. The doc would flip if e knew. Hubby has a bad back and bad asthma so forget asking him.

Am I being paranoid or could the spores actually settle on the screens and come in when I open the windows? Also, if there is mold in the mulch would it be the dangerous kind or should I just forget about it. I have to call the guy tomorrow as he is coming on Monday so sure would like to know. We can't afford rubber mulch and stone wouldn't be suitable for what we need.

Thanks for any input.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you disturb the existing mulch you will disturb whatever fungus is growing on the mulch and cause it to become airborne. If you do it, make sure the windows are closed.

Yes, it will settle on the screens. Dust is a good sign of mold presence. Wherever you find dust settled the spores and hyphae will be there in it as well.
suggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoldPro

I am confused. I thought from your PM that it was OK but from this reply I don't know -- does this mean I have to wash the screens and windows again????

Is fungus that grows on mulch the kind that causes mycotoxins which I already have high numbers in my blood or can I stop worrying? My husband thinks I am being paranoid about this.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mold will be likely growing on the mulch. Its not abnormal. Wood breaks down in this fashion as it is cellulose. Thusly you would have more mold spores and hyphae around your house than if say, your house was surrounded by a parking lot.

I wouldn't be overly paranoid about it though. Its not all wet and funky is it?
suggi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoldPro

It's not normally wet except under the trees but it is going to rain Sun nite until 1 AM and they are coming to do the mulch Mon 8 AM so it will be wet I am sure. Funky? as I said when it is wet Under the kitchen window it smells musty. They said it doesn't matter if it is wet. They don't care...they even cut wet grass.

Is it bad if they do the mulch after a rain???
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOt having seen it firsthand I am just guessing the situation there.

Wood bark or chips, or shredded up wood is going to rot away over time, if its damp. Its a natural process. It may not have any effect on normal air quality levels around your home at all. If its raked up, then it is likely that any fungus growing on the wood would become aerosolized and blow wherever the wind carries it....

Lots of folks like in wooded areas without problems.....why do you think that you are having issues?
suggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess because the holistic doc said my mycotoxin levels in my blood were so high I should try to keep exposure at a minimum. I know that is impossible . Since I am unable to take the detox remedies and he told me I was at high risk for liver and kidney cancer and already had a mastectomy for breast cancer I may be a bit paranoid. I'll try to get over it..... Anyway they really did not take much up just blew new on top with a blower attached to a truck. What a mess! All over the windows and house. I just can't wait for fall cleanup. The mulch will be all over the place again. Too bad hubby has such bad asthma and I can't do it with my severe osteoporosis (10.9% below fracture level in the spine.

Like I said, nobody cares - the grass we planted to try to prevent them mowing over the bare spots and having clouds of dirt all over the windows is now all bruised because they were walking in it even though it was roped off. They just broke the rope and I hope it comes back. I have to go water and try to keep it alive. I almost died that day as I was able to write my name in the dirt on the outside of the kitchen window screen so now you know how bad it was. I had to take all my screens out and wash them and the windows. It was so bad I had to throw the paper towels out the window instead of putting them in the bag on the floor as the dirt was to thick. I am not supposed to be doing that in the first place and just can't do it every time they mow. Hubby can't cut the grass either because of his asthma. He tried a mask too.

Thanks for asking -- I'll just have to stop worrying about possible mold problems.
Dee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggi: You are NOT paranoid. I read about a young man that died from shoveling mulch and it was full of mold and he inhaled it. So.... you can never be too cautious in my opinion... Dee
suggi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dee. I appreciate the input but I sure was hoping I was paranoid. You should have seen my car when they did fall leaf cleanup last fall. They did not tell me when they were coming and by the time I realized they were out there starting blowing all the leaves around I was afraid to go out in it and so my car was left in the driveway. When they left and I finally went outside I found my car covered with bits of mulch which even got into my car as it is 10 years old and somehow the seals must not be as tight as they should so they actually blew the mulch into the car. It took me over 2 hours to get the bits and pieces out of the car.

How are you doing????
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading about something called "Farmer's Lung Disease" which was supposedly caused by breathing mold dust from moldy hay.....so its not unreasonable to think its affecting you.....but if you aren't out there moving it around you should be alright...

If its a big concern call in a hygeinist or allergist and have it checked out. A few samples taken around and in the house might help you feel better about everything.

Farmer's Lung Disease:

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/farmers_lung.html
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

There is a spray for fungus that can be used on lawns and wood chips. But that might also have an odor.
neeterb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: mulch Reply with quote

The primary purpose of mulch is for beatification, flower beds etc...if you're this concerned, don't use mulch. You're yard might not be "pretty" to look at, but it will still serve it's purpose. It's still a yard. Let the "Jones" have their flower beds etc..We on the other hand are armed with knowledge, outward appearances aren't always worth the risks involved, health-wise. Have you had your home tested for mold?
suggi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neeterb

Thanks for your reply. Regarding testing in the house we spent over $30,000 on mold remediation already so I know I am overly cautious and paranoid. We are out of money as that was the equity loan plus and hubby doesn't make that much and with my health problems (mastectomy, Crohn's disease, bad immune system, severe osteoporis, bad arthritis in my hands, hyperthyroidism - had the radio active iodine pill so it should go down to hypothyroidism) I can't work plus I am going to be 70 years old soon. I am allergic to most meds so there is little I can take for anything.

Also, need to get a house all on one floor because of the osteo - doc said I could break turning over in bed so the house is now free of mold as far as I know but I don't want any more if you know what I mean. That is why I was concerned about the mulch. It would probably cost a fortune to take all the mulch away that we have also. I guess I have to just stop worrying about what if and concentrate on keeping the house as dust free as I can. It is hard for me to clean and can't afford a cleaning lady. Oh well, you just do the best you can, right?
neeterb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: healthpath newsletter Reply with quote

If ucan't get it then google it healthpath.wickedstones.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: