Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are blowy type white mushrooms in grass a problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suggi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Are blowy type white mushrooms in grass a problem? Reply with quote

We had quite a few pretty large bare spots in our lawn from the backhoe/mason fixing a crack in the basement foundation and when it is dry out the guys who cut the lawn raised a tremendous amount of dust by going over it which settled on my screens and windows so I had to take the screens out and wash them and the windows again. Husband put down top soil and patchmaster (has seed, fertilizer and mulch in it - made with paper) and I faithfully watered it every day and then it rained almost all of last week. Today I noticed hundreds of white mushrooms in the patches. The grass is growing in there but the ground is still saturated and I tried to dig some of the mushrooms out but found out they are the flimsy ones that just float apart and not the regular hard mushrooms. I also think the Patchmaster stuff is rotting although there is grass growing in it in most places but not all. I am scared to get rid of them - there are so many and scared to leave them - does anyone know what I can do??

My concern is if they cut the grass and disturb the mushrooms are those spores dangerous as they certainly will be in my screens and windows and I just can't wash everything again with my spine.

We still have them roped off and my husband is going to try to get some kind of lightweight grass trimmer/cutter as he feels that would not spread the spores as much. He has really bad asthma and that is why we have the lawn guys -- he once got a bad attack cutting the grass even wearing a mask. So, I guess I will have to do it even with my high level of mycotoxins in the blood so really would like to know how dangerous these mushrooms are.

Thank you.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no biologist, but my understanding is that those are what's called "Basidiospores" ie. mushrooms that grow in decaying organic matter, on bark or lawns.

Supposedly they are not unhealthy for humans. Being outdoors any contaminants ought to blow away and be diluted. Let the area dry out and the mushrooms won't grow any more. I dont' mean dry out completely, just water less once the grass seeds are established and the shrooms wont grow any more.

There are many many types of odd growths in the fungi family that can grow in your yard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: