Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a moldy-smelling wool coat make you ill?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Can a moldy-smelling wool coat make you ill? Reply with quote

I am hypersensitive to mold and have all sorts of health issues due to the mold in my previous residence. There is a gal in my office who sits sort of near me and I have been smelling Mold when she wears her wool coat. I really noticed this 2 weeks ago, about mid-week. Shortly after noticing the smell, I had horrible headaches, more than the usual sinus issues, and stomach problems. A week later not only did I feel like I had a sinus infection, but I ended up with what my doctor said was a very bad case of the Flu and was was laid up and on meds for almost a week. Now I am back in the office, not quite back to par, and have been smelling that "moldy coat" smell and feel ill. I have bad nausea and the headache is starting again.

Could just the smell of mold make me this ill? I don't know how I will survive the rest of winter if coming into the office makes me sick.
Dee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, without a doubt.. I even get sick after a day in my doctors office because of the patients coming there with mold spores from their moldy homes. I will lose my voice if one of them just passes by. It is unbelievalbe but it is exactly the meaning of hypersensitvity. Ask her kindly to leave the coat at home, might not work, but your well bring depends on it. Good luck- Dee
D&D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I originally thought it was her coat, but now that entire little corner of my immediate area has that smell, and she wore a different coat today.

I was trying to narrow down EXACTLY where the smell was coming from, and after less than 5 minutes next to a small meeting room (the size of a large office), right by her cube, I became so severely sick to my stomach that I almost started gagging and doubling over in pain from feeling stomach ill. If it was her coat that started this, then could it be likely that if there were mold spores in her coat, they are now in the carpeting or ceiling tiles and that is why I am still smelling it? It is so bad right immediately near that meeting room and I can smell it all the way over to my desk. I have been sneezing and had a runny nose ever since I came into the office.

FYI: no one else in the office can smell this; only me.
Dee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mold spores can easily be tranferred from clothing to an office and yes contaminate carpeting etc. That is exactly what they call "cross-contamination." Its possible that the mold is in the wall and the coat absorbed the smell of the mold. Wool and cotton are the worse for absorbing contaminants because they are natural fabrics. Donna did you ever get the cholestyramine prescription? Dee
D&D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wonder if there is a mold problem in this girl's home and she's bringing it to the office via her wool coat, or if there is a problem in the office and the spores are getting into her coat, and the coat is holding the smells (and toxins?).

Or, could there be hidden mold in the office (like in the carpeting) with no airborne spores and it is just the SMELL that is making me so ill? Can smells alone make you sick, or is it more likely that there are toxins and that is what I am reacting to? Anyone have any comments on this?

Dee, I sent you a PM regarding CSM (and stuff).
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to keep 20 feet away from this lady who had a moldy coat in a computer store and it made me sick
duxdeluxe

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Dee's answer, Dee it is interesting that you mentioned your losing your voice when exposed to mold spores as that is just what happens to me out of the blue ........... my voice will start to go and I almost totally lose my voice until Benadryl and time helps bring it around again, that and trying to change the environment I was in but never sure what exactly was the trigger. Like everyone else, don't we just spend our lives trying to figure out what was the trigger?

Happened several times, more now eight years out than when I was in the midst of the mold deal. I don't remember losing my voice then but then I had so many other symptoms who can remember.

Few months ago I lost my voice on the way to a meeting while driving through a farming area after it had been rainy the days before and knew it must have been from the fertilizer - cow manure - or the wet dirt and disturbed spores. Arrived at the meeting with no voice. Great ... mouthed "please to meet you" to the person whom I'd never met prior - no voice, real nice first impression!

Lost it again around some old photo albums and paperwork .... and other times I don't recall at the moment but was neat to read what you'd wrote .... the losing the voice thing. Pretty weird ... and not so great!

Dux
Toxic

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any clothing or upholstered goods bother you I suggest you get rid of them. It isn't worth it.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: