Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aspergillus Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombie_Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Aspergillus Question Reply with quote

This is becoming a nightmare I fear I'll never awake from!

But aside from the gory details involving the con-artist "mold expert" and the insurance company fighting paying him (which I wholeheartedly agree with)...

After 4 months out of my home and being assured that all the mold was cleaned up, I returned 2.5 months ago. But due to some major issues with the remediation man and his dishonesty, I insisted that they do a final air sampling on the entire house. They had blocked off one well-cleaned room and tested that, but as I told him, I live in the entire house and testing only one room gave an innaccurate assessment of the overall air quality. The insurance company agreed with this.

While the test results were a lot better, the aspergillus/penicillium count was well over 600 indoors compared to 38 outdoors. Can anyone tell me just how bad this is? It it considered "acceptable"?

Due to miscommunications between a lot of people, his work was never inspected until about 3 weeks ago. At that time, the inspectors came down from my attic with photos of mold all over the place. This was the second time he had told us it was all cleaned up and it actually was not. So now I've been awaiting some sort of decision on whether or not they are going to force him to complete the work before paying him, or allow us to hire someone else, or whatever.

But now I don't think I can wait around much longer. I have begun to experience the same sort of asthma-like symptoms which forced me to evacuate my home in the first place, which makes me fear the mold is growing again and reaching a level that is intolerable to me.

So I'd really appreciate any info on aspergillus/penicillium and what is generally considered acceptable indoors. I know sensitivity varies with the individual, but just a general idea would help.

And as soon as all this is resolved one way or another, I'll certainly post about the remediation company who has screwed us over at every opportunity.

Thanx!
ZombieGirl
suggi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombiegirl

First, how did the mold get started - pipe leak, roof leak, ???

Aspergillus/penecillium is not good at those levels with a swab sample (not cultured but just under a microscope so I bet an air sample of 600 is bad also. It is supposed to be lower than outside anyway.

Do you own your home. How did you get your insurance company to pay for remediation? We have spent our equity loan and savings (over $30,000) and now have mold smell in the bedroom window and have not got the money to pay for remediation again. The other was in the attic and basement. We had high levels.

As I understand it, if it comes from rain getting in around the window somehow insurance won't pay.

Good luck and please write again.
Zombie_Girl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suggi,

The mold was from a slow leak in our air conditioning system. It was probably leaking for 2-4 years before it got bad enough to notice water damage inside the house.

The test was an air sampling. I have 3 reports done on 3 separate occasions. The actual numbers were 684 indoors and 76 outdoors. But I didn't really think it sounded very good.

I also find it very odd that on the first 2 tests, the aspergillus/penicillium count was lower indoors than outdoors, but after additional clean-up it was higher indoors than outdoors.
Another thing that doesn't seem right is that each test has several different molds listed that were not on one or both of the other tests.

I live in Florida so our home owner's insurance has a special addendum that covers mold up to $10,000 which is pretty standard here. I'm guessing if you have a basement, you're probably not in Florida. Obviously, 10K doesn't go very far, but that is for actual mold damage so some remediators will call most of the expense 'water damage' and get it covered that way. But even water damage, they are pretty specific about how the water damage can happen. I'm out of luck if we have a flood, but a leaking AC unit is ok.

The total for this was originally almost $17,000, but today I learned that the guy has adjusted the fee since the insurance company refused to pay that much. But he had been attempting to charge for things that he never did and charge multiple times for one job.

I never would have let this jerk do the job, but my sister owns our house so the insurance is only in her name, and she wouldn't listen to me about getting another estimate. Now she's sorry she didn't.

Wow... you have sure spent a LOT! How long has your mold problem been going on?

Peace,
Zombiegirl
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you clean up or disturb the mold, you put it in the air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: