Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Toxic (or anyone who knows)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suggi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: For Toxic (or anyone who knows) Reply with quote

QUESTION - until the remediators come and fix it - see next paragraph - my house runs humid and with all the rain we are having right now the humidity in the house is almost 70% - even in that bedroom - I put the dehumidifiers on - I have 3 - and am a little worried about the one in the hall that takes care of the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. I don't know if there are any spores in that bedroom and wonder if I am contaminating the whole house.....I really couldn't deal with any more.

That nasty moldy smell we were smelling at the bedroom window -- the remediators said the garage window right below the bedroom window was a bad mold and smelled really nasty and did a great job and we all thought the smell was coming from there. As it only smelled in the spring, summer and early fall and they were not able to get to the garage window until late in the fall we no longer gave the bedroom window a thought. It also doesn't smell when you have the a/c on. Well, we recently had 2 weeks of dry, sunny, 70 degree weather and THE SMELL WAS BACK worse than ever. I did have the a/c on for the humidity. It is hardly noticeable at night and now that it is raining and in the 50's --- no smell at all. I had the mold inspector we had way back come yesterday with his gadget to see through walls and there is moisture under the window. He could not smell anything (not cold enough) and took out the screen and looked out under there and said "there is no caulking under the window and never was". So, since we had a carpenter take out rotten wood there 6 years ago and redo it, it has not had any caulk there but we did not know this.

QUESTION - until the remediators come and fix it - my house runs humid and with all the rain we are having right now the humidity in the house is almost 70% - even in that bedroom - I put the dehumidifiers on - I have 3 - and am a little worried about the one in the hall that takes care of the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. I don't know if there are any spores in that bedroom and wonder if I am contaminating the whole house.....I really couldn't deal with any more.

Don't know how extensive the damage is - this is the 3rd season of odor. The first one when the remediators did the basement and attic we had them take off the trim inside around the window and they found a little mold but did not think that would make an odor they said. Again, end of season and smell went away and we thought problem solved so we have been trying. So far, we have had the remediators here every year the past 3 years. From using a vaporizer my bedroom (hubby snores bad) had high counts of penecillium and cladasporium but no visable mold and had to be HEPA vac'd and fogged 3 years ago.

Please, if you could answer my question as I was unable to get the remediator to ask him. We are trying so hard and everything is falling down around us and both of us are ill at this point.

Thank you.
Toxic

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though you indeed have a problem. Have you thought of having the mold tested and billing the repairman for the cost of remediating it?

This is all I can tell you at this late juncture.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
suggi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Toxic

If by the repairman you mean the carpenter that fixed (HAHA) the window 6 years ago and FORGOT to caulk under the window --- he left the state about 4 years ago and I have no idea where he went. Sure wish I did know.

Guess I just have to plod on somehow. The next worst is the 1st floor level (multilevel house) that has indoor/outdoor carpeting on cement. The front door there is level with the driveway which is level with the street and it is like a vacuum when you open it -- everything comes in - leaves, sand from the street left over from sanding all winter, napkins from the ice cream stand across the street AND I AM SURE LOTS OF MOLD SPORES in with all the dirt. I constantly vacuum the carpet but am afraid to shampoo it. It is only 2 1/2 years old but dirty. My dehumidifier gets black in the bucket daily right under where the water runs down and under the water line and I am sure it is from the carpet. However whatever it is has to be blowing all over with the air that is blown out of the dehumidifier. I took it apart completely and used a Qtip with soap and water to wipe each dirty fan blade and anywhere I could reach so I was hoping there would be no more black this season. In the fall before cleaning it I swabbed the grill and it came back with rare amounts of different molds and staph. That kind of upset me. I wonder what I am spreading around the whole house however, I do have to use it to get the humidity down.....70% again in here after a few days reprieve at 50%.

2nd Problem:
If it doesn't cost too much and go over my credit card limit I want the remediators to take up the carpet and the broken asbestos tiles and mastic where there are missing tiles and fog the area but they can't do that for at least another month as they are booked up and at least they will do the bedroom window in a couple of weeks. Then maybe I can clean out the dehumidifier again and not have to wash the filter and bucket every time I empty it every day. The one in the basement and the one upstairs do not get that black in them and I only have to wash them out every other week. I guess I will be living with a 1st floor cement floor for a while after they take everything up.

Insurance won't pay for any of the mold problms as it did not occur from a broken pipe/hose, etc.

Any ideas on this please let me know. Thanks.
Toxic

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you own the place? Can you move?

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
suggi

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Toxic -- Unfortunately we own the house (except for $60,000). We are not going to have any money to move if you know what I mean...all we are doing in this house and none of it is adding value to the home - just fixing problems.

Don't know what we could get for the house either as it needs a lot of cosmetic work that neither one of us is in any condition to do and can't afford to hire a painter, etc. and needs a new kitchen. We are definitely going to take a loss to sell and the house will definitely be in "healthy" condition when and if we do sell it. It's just that my brain can't function right worrying about the fact that every day seems to bring on a new problem plus the fact I don't know who will be in the wheelchair first - hubby or me and we need that house all on one floor.

The latest is we just had the house painted last May for $4,000 and the paint is peeling on the east side of the house already. The painter did say there are a lot of layers of paint and it was going to peel at some point but if it was scraped correctly it would not be peeling in a year __ the last paint job lasted FIVE YEARS
Dee

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggi: I hate to tell you this but a new paint job that is peeling is a sign of internal moisture. I sure wish you could leave that house and see how your health improves. Do you know someone who could just take you in for a week of so and give it a try? Dee
suggi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dee

Thee is no one - how would you like company for a couple of days?---only kidding - wouldn't even have the airfare to get there anyway. Thanks for the input. When the remediators do the bedroom window will ask them about it, but they probably won't know without the inspector and his moisture meter and don't havethe money to get him back either.

How are you doing? Isn't there some way the painter did not scrap well enough on that side - it is the side towards Boston and the harbor although we are an hour away - also the side that the rain comes from.

Wouldn't the paint be peeling inside the house there also - or anyway where most of the peeling is taking place is the garage area under the bedroom and computer room. Hmmmm - inside is concrete but what are the shingles nauled to?

suggi
Toxic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need on Mold Help help. Unfortunately I am having a total knee replacement in a few dats and after that, I am going up to a monastary for a few weeks to recover. I only have afew days but you need to get some assistance. remember...Beg, Borrow or steel.

Cheers,
Susan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: