Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!! What do i do about all my belongings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Help!! What do i do about all my belongings Reply with quote

Hi Anyone,
My name is Rachel I live in Texas. I and my family lived in a home that I believed made me very sick from mold. I believe this house had a hidden water source and was feeding some mold at first of course when we moved in we didn't detect and mold growing but within no time we saw it coming throw the paint that the landlord had covered up . When I first got sick I wasn't sure what was going on. I didn't think mold, but I did think it was something I was being exposed to.I removed most of the cloth furnishing in the house tring to eliminate things that could be causing my symptoms,even taking a pregnacy test. I was very tired , couldn't get out of bed, barely able to take care of my children. I had bad headaches, stomach upset. I felt like I was going crazy. I made a Dr. app to go see what was going in the meantime the landlord had heard from someone that we didn't intend to renew our lease and then 2 phone calls turned into arguments so my husband who works out of town told me not to worry with her intel he got in and shortly there after I was given a eviction notice. When I left the house all my belongings where placed in storage . When I took my bed down out of the house discoved mold growing on it. what should i do with it. Should I dispose of it. It was a very costly bed the mattress and boxspings alone where $1100.00 but if it's going to make me sick in the trash it will go.Someone help any advice would be helpful.
marcim2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you not want to get rid of the bed when mold was making you sick? A moldy bed will still make you sick and symptomatic again. THROW IT AWAY! And remember about those mold toxins! Try not to cross contaminate your surroundings.
wiedb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll spend a lot more than $1100 getting well if you continue to expose yourself to mycotoxins. Toss unwashables like mattresses. Anything else that you do take out of storage, make sure you wipe or wash it with ammonia. Use a respirator to protect yourself from the mycotoxins while cleaning. Make sure you don't cross contaminate your car. Think everything through completely before starting so you don't cross-contaminate. Wear a tyvek suit
($10 at Home Depot) so you don't cross contaminate your clothing.
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mold expert told me to throw everything out. Even my $2,000 HDTV. I still have it in storage though.

Definatly throw the matrises out.

But you could try to hire people to clean your stuff. I cleaned my laptops by blowing them out with compressed air, but I could tell, not all the mold is out.

Don't clean the stuff yourself it could make you sicker. You can handle only so much mold and if ou sick now cleaning it will make you ten times worse.
Ru6ydragon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Your stuff needs to go in the garbage Reply with quote

You thrown away everything porous. Period.

You can keep your clothes but wash them twice with bleach.

You can only keep items that can be cleaned with bleach water. You must throw everything else away.

If it's made of wood, trash it.
suggi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have mold remediators come out and thoroughly remediate the basement, and attic and since I only found heavy counts of penicillium in the dust in the bedroom and living room and no visable mold they only hepa vacuumed and fogged those rooms with the antimicrobal. I still have my couch and bed although I covered the box spring and mattress with a plastic cover. They did not tell me to throw those out but the books in the living room are in sealed containers. They told me to vacuum them well before putting them away and wipe them with a damp rag with Moldzyme on it which we did. Of course, I am scared to death to open the sealed buckets. All our pictures are also sealed up. Someday I will take a swab sample of what's in the bucket and find out if it is OK to put them out.

However, I am not sure if swabbing a couple of items will prove they are all bad or all OK. Right now I am just trying to get through each day. I still have those 2 black stains on the particle subflooring under my utensil drawer cabinet to deal with and am trying to get up the courage. I am going to swab those first when I take out the drawers and mist the area to contain whatever and then vacuum it and wash it down. It is so bac under the bottom drawer -- cobwebs, dust, plaster bits from the wall......because of those 2 openings under the drawer out to the floor --- it is the cheapest made I ever saw. I never would have bought this house if I knew all the horrible things that went with it. Those openings are all over under the pot cabinets too although at least they have a cabinet floor over the openings whereas the drawers do not. There is no way to get a vacuum under those cabinets the way the openings are so you can imagine how bad they are also.

I am sure my mycotoxin level in my blood will go even higher after I clean this up but I can't afford the remediator back. What they did cost over $30,000. I just do not know if I will spread spores around the kitchen even though I mist first but that seems to be the best way to go. Unfortunately there is no way to get the particle board out as MoldPro suggested (and he is right) as we would have to rip out the cabinets and part of the floor and have no money left -- in fact all this mold stuff and the blood tests (insurance doesn't pay for mold mycotoxin testing) have maxed out our credit cards and took all the equity loan and what little we had in the bank. Probably there are others out there in the same boat.

Doctors know nothing about mold and should start being educated about it so they can help the millions of folks with mold exposure problems.

Any thoughts, please write back.
D&D

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Your stuff needs to go in the garbage Reply with quote

Ru6ydragon wrote:
You thrown away everything porous. Period.

You can keep your clothes but wash them twice with bleach.

You can only keep items that can be cleaned with bleach water. You must throw everything else away.

If it's made of wood, trash it.

I was told that washing with BLEACH will not remove the mold spores from clothing. Then I heard somewhere that BORAX will remove the spores, but I have found out that does not work. Dr. Croft (Madison, WI) says to wash your clothes with 2 cups of household AMMONIA per load, and NEVER mix bleach with ammonia.

By the way, we have been staying in a hotel for over 2 months now. Our condo still has not been remediated (an on-going battle with/ our association). Will our microfiber couch and rocker need to be trashed? The set is less than 2 years old and we are still making payments until the end of the year. Also, you say wood items need to be trashed. Would this include finished wood furniture, such as our dining room table/chairs and the china cabinet? I already realize that I will most likely lose my extensive cook book collection (though I've heard that you can microwave books to kill the mold spores, but then have to HEPA vacuum to remove the spores).
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how sick you are and how much mold is on them and what type of mold. Wood can be cleaned, but is it worth it, only you know.
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still smell mold on your clothes after washing them numerous times, throw them out.

Start off slowly buying new clothes in small quantities. So you don't feel the pinch. Even the $$ store has clothes.
zombi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Clothing - Its now a year later and I still can smell the mo Reply with quote

Mold is very pervasive in clothing. My wife and I had a number of very expensive (Patagonia, etc.) fleece items which we could not bear to throw out and they have been washed at least ten or fifteen times in repeated attempts to get rid of the smell. I;ve used borax, ammonia, etc. in along with the soap.

When they get cold, they still smell..

They used to make my face and arms red and bring on the fatigue when I wore them, but they don't seem to any more.. But they do still smell noticeably at times.

We need laws that make it easy for people to get reimbursed for all these expensive things, because most people cant afford to pay a lawyer for the cost of suing these bastards. They know this and they laugh in your face when you ask for money to pay for it all.
zombi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Ammonia does NOT detoxify Stachy toxins.. Reply with quote

Just heard it from an expert. Ammonia may be great at cutting grease but it does not detoxify stachy (trichothecene) mycotoxins.

It may be helpful for aspergillus/penicillum toxins like aflatoxin, ochratoxin A, citrinin, and others, but trichothecene toxins can withstand it and it does not deactivate them. For that you need strong bleach and soap and elbow grease, let stand for 30 min, then (IMPORTANT) rinsing away all that bleach and soap with toxins in it with clean water afterwards.

REPLACE (THROW AWAY) ALL MOLDY SHEETROCK... do not attempt to 'clean' it. REPLACE IT. Clean the wood underneath...with wire brushes, soap, bleach, then rinse.. Then install new sheetrock..
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For outside cements, driveways, etc. I've used very very watered down Muriatic Acid. (they use in swimming pools for mold) Must ONLY use it from a small hand flower sprinkler (garden type) container.

ALWAYS ADD THE WATER FIRST; WEAR A NOSE MASK; AND ADD SOME MURIATIC ACID. DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR SKIN; IF YOU DO, WASH IT OFF IMMEDIATELY IN COLD WATER. NEVER USE IT INSIDE YOUR HOUSE! EVER!

I sprinkled it carefully onto spots where I knew I had dead mold spores; then I hosed it down to the curb. I knew that it would change the mold spore moleculrly to something else.
neeterb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: what to do with your stuff Reply with quote

By reading all the stories of people on this Mold Help, all the attempts to remediate etc, all the $$ time and effort...still doubts and insecurities... I would take everything to the local landfill. Keep nothing. This is a choice Mom made, for herself. I gave her the info. as per access to this Mold Help, she read for herself. Her response was," It's just possesions". I commend her for letting go of all she has worked for in her lifetime. All our pictures from childhood, her yearbooks, class ring, clothes, furniture, appliances, even new stuff that hadn't been opened. She has chosen to take a giant leap of faith and trust the LORD. We believe God has a plan for Momma, we believe the LORD will reward her for her FAITH. Thru tribulation, we find truth. God Bless!
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the same thing. Threw away all our old photos and books.
I see it the same way: "it's only posessions". I figure I'm only on this earth once and I want to enjoy life. Do I sound like Sally Fields? :lol: :lol:
tug_slug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading some of the replies here is scaring the heck out of me. I purchased a condo that had mold in it (yes, I had an inspector) and all my belongings have been sitting in the condo for 6 weeks while the HOA has been trying to remediate it.

None of my stuff smells like mold, would it still be safe to take it out and bring it to my current temporary residence or should I consider it a loss? I did bring a few things with me, hopefully I didnt contaminate my current surroundings.
duraclean_austin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I am not sure if I asked before, but have you been feeling sick???

Carpet Cleaning Austin
tug_slug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duraclean_austin wrote:
Hey, I am not sure if I asked before, but have you been feeling sick???

Carpet Cleaning Austin

Im not sure if your question was meant for but YES extremely sick. When I first moved into the condo I was extremely light headed, my eyes and skin were irritated and I had a rash on my chest and stomach. After they remediated I was/am getting extremely bad headaches , my eyes skin were irritated, my throat feels like its closing up and I become extremely tired and sleepy so much so that I had to go back to the townhouse yesterday to let the plumber in but he was running late so I ended up staying in the condo for about 30 minutes. After that 30 minutes I HAD to go to my truck, recline the seat and take a nap

If I stay away from the condo for a few hours the symptoms go away but when I go back into the dwelling I become symptomatic within an hour.

Now that I've gotten an attorney the HOA seems a bit more motivated to get the problem taken care of what worries me is this place has had mold in it for at least 3 months and every time they run a different air sample test they find a different mold thats unusually high. The first time it was aspirgillius now it's yeast.
Toxic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, there is no such test that can determine your mycotoxin or mold level in the blood, or any way for that matter. The test you might be referring to is a mycotoxin antibody test. This blood test can check antibodies but cannot check for mycotoxins thus have not always shown to be accurate. There is a big difference.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
duraclean_austin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally people that if you go in and feel sick, and you leave and feel better that is the best test, nothing else really matters...

Carpet Cleaning Austin
Toxic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have previously stated, according to Dr. Michael Gray; there is only one method that works for washing clothing. This includes 2 tablespoons of Nizoral shampoo (available at many pharmacies and grocery stores) which contains 1% Keticonazole, 1 cup of borax, and 1 dose of regular laundry detergent to each laundry load. It is a smart idea to keep your mold continmated clothing in black trash bags and once the items are cleaned and dryed thoroughly, put the items in white kitchen bags. This way nothing gets mixed up. Due to head sweats from the Herxheimer effect, pillows should be washed every few weeks (at least); as often as possible, to avoid re-contamination. The pillows should be washed in a solution of Clorox (one cup), 1 cup of borax, and regular laundry detergent but dried very thoroughly until completely dried.

I hope this clears up any questions one may have about remediating clothing, draperies, bedding, and all other washable items. For further information on natural anti-fungals, diet and healing, with every donation of $14.99 or more (a tax deductable donation), we are currently offering a limited supply of our MH nutrition/cookbook which contains a multiplicity of information on healing, diet and recovery.

Best of luck with your healing and please feel free to contact us directly so we can better assist you with your individual needs. Thank you.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
tug_slug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been almost 2 years since I bought my moldy condo. In the past 2 years I have lost everything moved over a dozen times discarding all my belongings and am still sick. I started taking glutathione injections which helped and am now receiving provocation neutralization therapy which seems to be helping as well. Theres more to my story but rather than post it here I'll create another thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: