Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: What do you think of Ozone for cleaning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: POLL: What do you think of Ozone for cleaning? Reply with quote

A nice poster told me about using Ozone machines.

I have also heard not so nice things about using them-- that they can cause any material (even iron) left in the house to rot over time afterward.

Also that people who are sensitive couldn't live in a house that had been Ozoned.

I had a rental years ago in Portland-- the owner used an Ozone machine to get rid of animal urine smells and stains on the carpets. It worked great, and I did not see any problems or reactions to it in my family.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
DK
Teresa Van Deusen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the hotels we stayed in used an ozone machine. It was yucky, but I cannot attribute any specific illnesss to it's use. Seems to me like I had enough of things trying to kill all oxygen breathing organisms. Essentially ozone and mycotoxins do the same thing, only mold is not immune to ozone. More poison in my opinion.
T
William

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV (Ultraviolet light) is the best defense against mold. It is used in hospitals to kill microbes (even bacteria). I bought UV purifiers and they did wonders. It actually feels good to breathe again. I am not sure how it works, but it does. It kills mold.
Janet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihaveeen in a docs office that had ozone ad as I am so mold sensitive, I did not like the smell or the way it madem sinuses feel. I use four hepa filter air cleaners at home. I also hae read no so good thigs about ozone, and the hepa filter air cleaners I have has mold spores listed as one theyhelp with. Janet
Moldergeist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web (in general) seems filled with conflicting advice regarding ozone. Lots of manufacturer's say it's great, but all the govt sponsored sites advise against using it in places where people are living.

I tried a portable ozone machine in office before I knew about ozone (& mold) health hazard potential. The office did seem cleaner after running the ozone machine overnight. However, there are certain materials that ozone is known to damage (e.g. plastics - think about wires in your home walls). So I would research thoroughly before using ozone on valuable items.

There was a recent article on web that talked about success using ozone "shock" treatments. Seems the benefits of this method are also hotly debated.

A remediation company did overnight ozone treatment in friend's apartment (ran in through the heating and a/c system) and the remediation was unsuccessful (most likely because they did not properly clean contaminated items & I suspect that there was Stachy contaminated items). In my opinion, ozone shock treatment will not compensate for a sub par remediation job.

I've heard rumors that there are remediation companies that have ozone rooms, where they can treat contaminated items (away from living quarters) and have been looking hard to find a place in Texas that does this (so far no luck). Have also been looking to find anyone who has tried this treatment method on select items & can comment on how well this type of remediation worked.

Good luck finding a "straight forward" answer on this & if you do, please post here.
DK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: There is a lady on this board who is using the 'shock' Reply with quote

treatment right now.

Her name is Robbie.

See if you can find her on one of my posts-- i think maybe even this post.

DK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: