Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still haven't found source to buy agar plates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Still haven't found source to buy agar plates Reply with quote

anyone with a phone number, address, website?

I found a few websites- but they are for purchasing classroom size lots of plates for lab experiments in school, growing mushrooms and so on.

confusing.

DK
Teresa Van Deusen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK,

Reasonable prices. You can get one dish or 25. The agar powder comes with instructions for mixing. Don't use the beef powder (UGH).

http://www.prolabscientific.com/prolabEC/catalogue/category.asp?ID=149

Please note that you can store a bulk sample sealed (with waterproof tape) in a Ziploc FREEZER bag indefinately until it is needed or you can afford analyzing by a lab. By bulk sample I mean a piece of moldy sheetrock or insulation, etc.

Don't know if a petri dish full of mold will store for very long. Seems like as soon as themold runs out of food, it would be a useless sample.

Best of Luck,
Teresa
Moldergeist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvd is correct. The petri dishes do not store for very long - maybe a month or two. If there is any chance you want to refer back to the results at a later date, then try to take a quality picture of mold growth if it forms (I would have taken a picture, and wish I did, but was too busy fighting for life at the time).
DK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks......these are for MY house, not mold house Reply with quote

I just want to make sure our own house is ok after dragging ourselves back here from working hours in the mold house.

We have found mold in several places in our house this week-- typical places you'd find a bit of mold--

underside of water spigot on the tub
inside 2 jacuzzi water jets (been there for years)
behind kitchen sink/plant holder above sink
on the outside rims of three skylights

Today we bought some filters for each air duct-- will spray with GFS extract a few times a day.

We're installing a heating duct in our back bathroom because there isn't one-- it stays pretty cold and damp back there 24/7-- we realized w/ all this reading that we need to make sure it doesn't turn into a mold factory.

DK
Teresa Van Deusen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK,
Check out the EPA guidelines for remediation of commercial buildings. Essentially it says you should treat all mold with the same vigilence. You don't have to know what it is, just stop the source of moisture and kill the $% spores. Not like your friends house where it is head to toe. That is an example of "too late".
T
DK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: true.....but Reply with quote

I sure would like to know for my own health's sake.

We are treating it like it's going to eat us alive in the night, just in case.

But-- if my house should show a lot of mold growth on an air sampling plate, then I want to take further steps with my air ducting system.

DK
Teresa Van Deusen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK,
For peace of mind, after you clean the visible sites, you can cover the area in a baking soda paste and leave it there indefinately. this will discourage further mold growth AND will show any new water damage by turning the paste a different color. Simple way to monitor for water you don't see dripping or seeping.
Also, if you can get a dehumidifier, it will keep your moisture down during the investigation and you will not have to worry as much. Be sure to change the collection pan daily if you can. Add baking soda to the pan if you find yourself forgetting. That way spores will not breed in your dehumidifier.
Best of Luck,
Teresa
DK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: cleaned out heating vents today and......... Reply with quote

smelled a moldy smell in the kitchen duct which was full of doggy doo doo- old food, dust, macaroni, toys-- you name it.

I am placing cut pieces of filter material inside each vent, and spraying w/ GFS every day-- you can buy it off of a roll at a hardware store and easily cut any size you want.

DK

Right now I have sea salt poured over the area behind my sink that is moldy. It's only about 3 inches long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: