Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about MRI ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Questions about MRI ? Reply with quote

:o
Can anyone tell me if an MRI is usual test for the mental impairment most of us have from living in a mold house. My doc that specilizes in mold ordered one for me. I had no explanation as to what he is looking for. I am afraid of the contrast dye as well as the magnetic field. I don't want to increase my risk of cancer in addition to all the mycotoxins I inhaled for two years. Can anyone tell me if the same concern about mold phone use and living near electric wires appiles to the magnetic pull on the bodys protons ? I can find nothing about this part of the issue on the net?
moldegeist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakara,

I can't speak for the hazards of MRI's, but I can say that my mold doc ordered one for me a few months ago. In addition, to an MRI he ordered a brain profusion study (checks for abnormal flow of blood around the brain).

During past two years, I've experienced an unbelievable # of horrid health symptoms that I now know are all a direct result of prolongued toxic mold exposure. My blood test nine months ago showed stachy, aspergillus, and penicillium mycotoxin levels all above normal (consistent with home mold test results).

After six months of anti-fungal treatment and a serious (but not perfect) attempt at staying on the Mold web Mold Help diet, all my symptoms have abated dramatically (or completely) except that my brain still is not working quite right. I've seen articles on internet showing corpses where aspergillus has badly eaten away the brain (they are pretty gruesome). Considering that the mold gets deep into your sinus cavities (some of which are very close to your brain) when you breathe it, it's not a big surprise to me that the stuff can dramatically affect your brain. Please note that I'm no medical expert and the mold in sinuses may have nothing to do with the brain effects - it may just be that it gets into your blood stream and attacks the brain from there.

When doc mentioned possible brain damage, my first question was, if there is damage, can you treat it. His reply indicated that there are treatments for this, but I received no details. I get my test results in about 3 weeks, so I'll know more then.

Let me warn you in advance about MRI's. If you are the slightest bit claustrophobic (as I am). They can be terrifying! You are tightly enclosed in a very small space for far too long (in my opinion). You might want to try putting the upper half of your body in a box that fits close around you and practice coping strategies at home ahead of time OR take valium or suitable mind mellowing mold they may offer. I've heard there are MRI machines in existance that are not quite so tightly enlcosed and I will do everything in my power to find one of these if I ever need an MRI again.

Good luck with your decision and MRI if you go this route and god bless!
Carebear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Carebear on Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
davepotter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: MRI Reply with quote

First, the magnetic resonance from the MRI and from the electric power lines....I dunno.

My doc had me get an MRI because I complained about the brain fog. They didn't find anything...I mean, there was a brain, but they said it was normal.

Ultimately, I wound up talking to a Psychologist and getting about 1000 dollars worth of tests. He found problems with my cognitive processing. If you are worried about the MRI, maybe you could go that route instead.

They will also probably do a sinus CT scan on you.

From what I've read and heard from others, the MRI doesn't necessarily "see" mold. By the time the MRI picks up the lesions or other brain damage, you're already screwed.

I know this isn't much help, only to say you might try the testing from the headshrinker first.

Good Luck...by the way, who's your doctor? We would love to find one who admits to even having heard of mold being bad for us.

Regards,

Dave Potter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about MRI ? Reply with quote

shakara wrote:
:o
Can anyone tell me if an MRI is usual test for the mental impairment most of us have from living in a mold house. My doc that specilizes in mold ordered one for me. I had no explanation as to what he is looking for. I am afraid of the contrast dye as well as the magnetic field. I don't want to increase my risk of cancer in addition to all the mycotoxins I inhaled for two years. Can anyone tell me if the same concern about mold phone use and living near electric wires appiles to the magnetic pull on the bodys protons ? I can find nothing about this part of the issue on the net?

HI SHAKARA,,

I HAD AN MRI DONE LAST APRIL...THIS IS WHEN ALL THE TROUBLES STARTED TO INTENSIFY FOR ME. THIS WAS TO "PROVE" I HAVE MS. HOWEVER, IT WAS NEGATIVE. SO, I GOT THE DIAGNOSIS OF "PROBABLE MS".

UNFORTUNATELY, I DIDN'T REALIZE I EVEN HAD A MOLD PROBLEM UNTIL 6 MONTHS AFTER THAT AND I HAVE FINALLY LOCATED A PHYSICIAN THAT I WILL SEE THE END OF THIS MONTH.

GOOD LUCK, GOOD HEALTH AND ANSWERS TO US ALL.

DORIE
dana gatlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: MRI Reply with quote

Shakara,

I've had several MRI's lately, and what I found to be the most helpful was focusing on what an awesome piece of machinery it is, and doing intense visualization during the whole process. I visualized that this all-seeing (well, almost) machine was going to magnetize all that hidden mold into visibility and then ZAP! The sounds are loud and intense and can be frightening if you're not prepared for them. I like them, but maybe that's because they fit into my visualization thing. I pretended that the sounds were vibrating right into the mold and and overpowering and dissolving it. This approach may not work for everyone, and sedatives can be a wonderful thing if you really need help relaxing . But I find that fear makes everything worse, and visualizing helped me welcome the process rather than fear it. Keeping my eyes closed helped me to focus on the sounds and not claustrophobia. Hope that helps a bit.

Moldegeist ~ where did you find those articles on aspergillus? Sounds fascinating (in a gruesome way!) I'd be interested in checking them out. Also, why 3 weeks for test results? What kinds of tests take so long?

And Bonnie ~ did the neurological damage show up on the MRI? Do you know the specifics? My brain MRI apparently showed nothing, but I haven't found a neurologist yet who seems to be the least bit knowledgeable about mold. I'm having alot of pain, weakness, and numbing - temporary diagnosis of polyneuralgia "unspecified". I want to be as informed as possible when I see the next neuro. Thanks.

And Dorie ~ you finally found a doc! Congrats! In Florida? Who? Where?

~Dana
Linda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the open MRI and it is OK. I couldn't do the closed in one! It took about 20 min longer to do the open MRI but it was well worth it. They also had music playing and a window at the end of the table and side so you don't feel so closed in.
Moldergeist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana,

The aspergillus brain photos are on this mold help web Mold Help. Start at main page and click on Mold Photos and Description. Then scroll down and click on Brain, severe Aspergillus abscess.

The MRI results were ready last week, it's just 3 more weeks until I have next appt w/ toxicologist/MD who ordered them. :-?
Carebear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

\.

Last edited by Carebear on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Teresa Van Deusen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakara,
Most MRIs are looking for actual brain lesions. Invasive fungus can manifest in this way. My MRIs were negative. The test that finally documented my brain fog as not "all in my head" was the full neuropsychological exam. I highly recommend this test.
About the magnets, dyes, etc, I chose to subject myself to that because the stress of unanswered questions outweighed the risk. They usually offer the patient a valium, but I found that meditation was less nerve racking than feeling slightly buzzed.
Best of Luck,
Teresa
aj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: brain pressure Reply with quote

I too had an MRI that showed nothing. One of my main symtpoms has been extreme pressure in my head, neck, and jaw area. Nothing relieves it. I wondered if anyone else had this symptom? I've been out of the toxic environment for over a month - and have been feeling better. I've been using 5 drops a day of the grapefruit seed extract. Today however - I doubled the amount to 10 drops - and I am really feeling it. The pressure is awful. General feeling of unsteadiness and fatigue. I guess I need to take the de-toxing slower. At least I hope that it's the stuff working and not making it worse.
Anyone with head pressure please respond. I have a history of Encephalitis, and am scared that the mold is causing my brain to swell again or something. I don't know - like I said the MRI was normal.
shakara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) Thank you all for the information about MRI's. I do have panic attacts already. I have scheduled one and the lab tech told me if I had a panic attack they would take me out immeditly. So all the advise is helpful. I appreciate it. Will it ever show a fungal growth.

Also, have any of you had a nerve conduction study. I hurt like hell and took four hours. It was torture.

Thank you all for replying this Mold Help is a God-send.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed my MRI. Intense magnetic radiation clears my head for a whole day!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I enjoyed my MRI. Intense magnetic radiation clears my head for a whole day!

Hi Guest,
The MRI's sure don't come close to the damage these toxins do. Haven't seen any more posts from shakira. While many with MS=many syptoms.. Some have what they call plaques on the brain. All one has to do is go to Toxics other web Mold Help http://www.mold-help.org/imagesmold.htm and scroll down to brain. shakira, I also am claustrophic. Didn't see the post where the thing took 4 hrs. I have had a few of them, and don't agree to have any more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't being sarcastic. Literally the magnets did clear my head. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: