Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed - Mold in attic and now time to sell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkDD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Advice needed - Mold in attic and now time to sell Reply with quote

We've got many sleepless nights for this mold issue, thanks in advance for your advice.

My wife and I bought our first house 22 months ago, it is a new constuction in Atlanta area. After we moved in for around 14 months, I found mold in attic when I was changing the A/C filter. Almost half of the wood beam and shafts have the problem. Rooft and floor were good.

I asked the inspector who helped bought our house for help, he said it was mold and it could be cleaned by mix of bleach and water. Also
- He found no obvious issue about ventiation, it has soffit and ridge vent along with 3 gable vent
- He said it might be because of the wet wood during the constrction
- He said it might be because of excessive moisture get into attic from living space

I tested the bleach method works so I worked in attic for a couple of days to make the clean. We didn't think it is a big problem and the attic is clean.

Not until we got a job at the other side of the town and we are thinking of selling the house, the mold issue come back into our mind. I checked the attic again, after 6 months from my previous clean, there are new mold on a few of the wood beams but with much less scale, most of the wood are good. But obviously the problem is not totally solved.

We are now very upset about the selling of the house, what we can do now.
1. Clean the mold and make the sell. Hope the mold won't back after that. Otherwise we may get sued if buyer found we cleaned it before.
2. Check of the builder can help do the fix. It is very unlikely as we are out of 1 year warranty although it still has a structure warranty. Not sure if we can prove it is a possible ventilation problem and they would agree to make the fix. And sure we have to disclose it for sell
3. Ask professional to do the clean and prevention. disclose it for sell. But we don't really know what fix to prevent the future mold growing.

By disclosing the mold issue, we don't know if we can ever get the house sold given the bad house market and slow season. Also we are concerning the depreciation of the house.

What we can do? please help. Thanks again
Mark
Moldpro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know the laws regarding real estate disclosure in your area, but here if you fiail to disclose known defects you can be held liable.

It would be wrong to not disclose what you know, what you did and how it was done. Attic contamination usually does not pose such a risk for interior air since air normally moves up and out as opposed to down into the home...cold air rises....

It is possible the mold was on the lumber when it was framed. Lumber often comes from the lumber yard with growth on it. "Then again it is possible you have a moisture retention issue within the attic. Is the ventilation adequate?
MarkDD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MoldPro, we also think it is the right way to disclose the issue. The only thing we don't know is the consequence of the disclosure as I said earlier. We are ready to move on, but we may have to stuck here for a long time and we may have to lose a lot of money for our first and new house.

As for the reason of having Mold, I don't know what exactly caused it. So I'm not sure what I can tell the buyer that I have fixed this issue and it won't happen again, which I think is very important to convince the potential buyer its no longer a problem. Do you have any advice for me for where I can start?
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run into this regularly here. A lot of owners will do the cleanup. Sometimes they do it right, and sometimes not. If it is just surface cleaning of the exposed materials, I don't see any reason you can't do it.

Buy a 3M full face respirator with magenta colored HEPA filters, some rags, a couple sanding blocks and have at it.

If the buyers are nervous about it, they can do testing at their expense, or you can hire a testing company to test the areas again after you are done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: