Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

... do we have a problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
propowner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: ... do we have a problem Reply with quote

cut a hole in my ceiling for a recessed light and discovered something i wanted to know if i should be concerned :(

Last edited by propowner on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moldpro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell from that giant photo. It looks darker near the chimney ( brickwork) I don't see any water staining. Is there an odor?
moldchron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Looks like wood-rot Reply with quote

Propowner ... like Mold Pro said, the photo is so huge! You really need to keep your displayed images to not more than 800x600 pixels. That makes them easier to view. I copied the image - put it in Photoshop and treated it as if it were a blue-spectrum image to look for 'living organisms' and sure enough, the bright spot around the rafter (I'm assuming that is looking UP), is fungus.

Here's the blue-spectrum image of your photo:

Know Change. Know Future. No Change. No Future.
propowner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. ill try to fix photo and repost sorry !!!
propowner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what should i do ? can i remediate or should i get a professional
propowner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area in question is the roof in my attic space. I have a 2 story row home and had the roof repaired and silvercoated when I bought it 6 months ago.
moldchron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Get a professional ... Reply with quote

propowner wrote:
The area in question is the roof in my attic space. I have a 2 story row home and had the roof repaired and silvercoated when I bought it 6 months ago.

MoldChron says... I would say this is a job for a professional. The affected area, the roof boards - appear to be 1x10 tongue-n-groove or lap-boarding. Since you said you have a 'row-house' and you're in Philly... I'd say the construction is quite old. Correct? The affected area doesn't look to be all that old - it could be the result of your 'roof repair'. Sad to say, even the best of roofing contractors can make a mistake and cause a problem. But it's also safe to say, there are very few such roofing contractors in business. ": \ (Sorry MoldPro - no offense toward you .. ": )

This is a fairly steep roof. When looking at the original image I thought it might have been a flat-roof. The photo below shows that is NOT the case!

It would appear that the moisture entry was from on the far side of the first distant rafter (GREEN ARROW). The 'stain' is moving toward the camera - note the point (RED ARROW. The YELLOW ARROW indicates the direction of the flow -> toward the RED ARROW. The main point of moisture incursion beyond the rafter BLUE ARROW.

Hope this helps.

MoldChron
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the colors and all but I'm not convinced. Take a tape lift sample and see what if comes back with.

Hit it with a wire brush, poke it with a screwdriver, is the wood soft and spongy? How bad was the roof prior to the coating application?
moldchron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Color is good .. ": ) Reply with quote

Moldpro wrote:
I like the colors and all but I'm not convinced. Take a tape lift sample and see what if comes back with.

Hit it with a wire brush, poke it with a screwdriver, is the wood soft and spongy? How bad was the roof prior to the coating application?

MoldChron replies... For his sake, I hope YOU ARE RIGHT. But I've seen this too often to not think of it in this way. And the blue-spectrum test is rarely wrong. Green is the Fungus' favorite color. As too, the contractor/remediator who gets to clean up after it. :)

Again - here's hoping YOU'RE right, MoldPro. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

MoldChron
propowner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i dont have access to this area. I took the pictures through a recessed light hole that i was replacing. I was curious how much space was up there so i reached my hand through the hole with my camera.
moldchron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: NO ACCESS _IS_ a problem! Reply with quote

propowner wrote:
yeah i dont have access to this area. I took the pictures through a recessed light hole that i was replacing. I was curious how much space was up there so i reached my hand through the hole with my camera.

MoldChron replies ... propowner ... not having access to your attic area IS a problem. Because you have - or have had - moisture in your attic - that, somewhere between MoldPro and my comments, you don't know if it's a REAL PROBLEM NOW or IN THE FUTURE ... or if it's an old condition that is just still showing 'scars' of a previous problem.

Since that 'opening' is no doubt closed now - or soon will be - there will be no way for you to 'keep tabs' on whether this 'seeming problem' actually _IS_ a problem.

Is there someplace near this opening area - where you could cut an access opening - frame it in and lay in a cover-door - so you could have access ?? A closet or bathroom or someplace ? If so, then seriously consider providing it.

Also, don't think that if you'd not have opened it you wouldn't have had a problem. This is _NOT_ the case. You only wouldn't have _KNOWN_ about it - but you will still would have _HAD_ the problem: that is... IF there IS a problem.

This is all so circumstantial at this point. But you should walk away from this with two pieces of important information:

1_ You have, either NOW or IN THE PAST, had a moisture problem in your 'attic'.
    2_ You may well have a moisture problem _NOW_, but without regular access to, "keep and eye on it", you will never know. That is, until it is TOO late.

Those are the cookies on the table. Your call. Best to you in your decisions.

MoldChron
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234567 wrote:
look, I have that inside of me
http://dildo-pleasure.info/videoplayer.php?file=185826

Be careful about making an access opening, you can let the attic mold spores enter your living area.

When I told people I had mold in my attic some people told me not to worry because it was not in my living area. Of Course they were wrong as the mold had gotten into the living area threw wire holes and electric outlets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: