Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UV Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustinS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: UV Light Reply with quote

I have heard some good and some bad regarding UV lights installed in the heating & cooling ducts. I understand this will not fix a serious mold problem. My wife has had allergies for years and I am considering one of these lights. Anyone have any knowledge about these?
Moldpro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that they are fairly effective. I was always skeptical since the dust bits would seem to go zooming past the light within the ducting.....but maybe you can find study results somewhere that would prove different.

We have a little Honeywell HEPA scrubber that is running in our front office and it has one.
pashikov

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV light can be effective depending on the location of installation. If installed over the A coil it will keep the coil clean of mold growth. It will also reduce or eliminate the airborne mold spores and particles because UV works on cumulative basis.
suggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pashikov

Can you install the UV system in an attic A/C unit? We have cold water heat - furnace in the basement and a separate A/C system in the attic.

Is it EPA approved?

I saw the website. Is Sporicidin EPA approved for fogging in the A/C system and if you fog upholstery and carpeting could you just let it air dry as fogging does not get it soaking wet. I guess I would like to know if it is EPA approved for all of the above as well as non porous. It sounds good as I like the idea of taking care of bacteria as well as mold spores.

Thanks
pashikov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggi,

A qualified HVAC contractor should be able to install the UV air cleaner in any HVAC system. To the best of my knowledge, the EPA has not yet approved any residential UV air purification product.

Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution is EPA approved - EPA Registration Number 8383-3. It will disinfect any non-porous surfaces and has a residual bacteriostatic and mold inhibiting activity of up to 6 months. The Disinfectant Solution will decontaminate porous surfaces and materials but with these no claim for complete disinfection can be made as there is no way to guarantee that the product will enter every single pore and kill the microorganisms there.

A combination of products can be used to ensure the "1,2,3 Punch":

1. Clean surfaces with the Mold Cleaner.
2. Disinfect and ensure residual mold inhibition with the Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution.
3. Deliver the finishing punch with installation of American-Lights® UV air cleaner that will constantly wash the indoor air and kill airborne mold, mold spores, bacteria and viruses.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Do not hesitate to post again if you have more questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: