Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving house ,wondering what to clean items with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S Covey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Leaving house ,wondering what to clean items with. Reply with quote

We will be leaving our house in the near future. Our air levels were very high with stachybotrys and penicillium and moderately high levels of chaetomium and cladosporium when we tested six months ago. We don't see any mold on furniture or any of our belongings - only on the walls and floors in areas of the house. The mold tester said it is dormant.

I know mattresses and soft furniture have to go but need to know what we" damp wipe "with (per mold pro) and how we know if we got it all off.
I'm not sure how to go about cleaning computers, televisions, sweepers, luggage,etc.

I think alot of people are as confused about this as I am, so can someone try and explain it to us.

I am so glad I found this sight as it has taught me much and made me realize that we are not alone in this awful situation.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the mold is dormant. What does that mean? What physical condition is it in? I think the dusty mold in our stored boxes were dormant. They were in a dry state.
S Covey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Leaving house, wondering what to clean items with. Reply with quote

I think the mold tester referred to dormant because the mold isn't actually growing now. We haven't seen any change in it since we found it 7 months ago.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the mold spores as tiny micro sized seeds. That image helps most understand. A hard cased seed, is not really dormant, its just not growing yet. But if you water it, and feed it, then the seed will sprout and grow. Mold's essentially the same way, just waaaaay smaller.

If you can clean up all the visible dust, so whatever you clean passes the "white glove" test, you can be pretty sure you've gotten rid of most of the mold.

The nooks and crannies may have some left, so we use paint brushes and an air compressor with a "blowgun" attachment to agitate the dust loose.
S Covey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Leaving house, wondering what to clean items with. Reply with quote

What do we clean household items with?
dale812

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current recommendation for damp wiping is a plain household detergent or warm soapy water. Antibacterial or not will work. For hard non porous surfaces just wipe with this solution and let dry. Bleach Is NOT recommended

The insides of electronics are beyond my expertise. I believe there are some people who specialize in them.

Be sure to wear a respirator and gloves. A tyvek suit would be good also. Contain the area with ply sheeting to prevent contaminating surrounding areas. Rent a HEPA filtration unit and keep it running the whole time you are working and even for a while after you finish to clean the air.
S Covey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Leaving house, wondering what to clean items with. Reply with quote

Dale, Thank-you for an answer!! We are planning to move the household items to a storage unit to clean before we move them into the new house. Do we still need to wear mask's etc. as we don't see any mold on our things.

Susan
dale812

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be outside and there is no thick growth you can probably forego the masks.

However, if you are sensitized to the mold you may need at least an N-95 mask. These are the dust masks at the hardware store. If you were doing this professionally then I would definitely recommend one with a HEPA cartridge. I always try to err on the side of caution.

After you move the furniture into the new house you may still want to rent a HEPA filtered fan unit for a day or two to make sure the air is pretty clear. We try to run them 24-48 hours before clearance testing is performed but this is after a remediation project, not just a clean up of contents.
S Covey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Leaving house, wondering what to clean items with. Reply with quote

Do we need to wipe each and everything that we bring out, screw drivers, toiletries, etc. What about Christmas tree's, can we keep them or should we just pitch them?
dale812

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you had really heavy contamination I would just worry about the larger items. As a remediation company we would probably try to hit almost everything due to liability, but sometimes we do overkill for that reason.

For the Christmas trees... Good question. If the box is intact just wipe off the box or vacuum the box. If the box is open or compromised you might want to take the tree out of the box and vacuum it or blow it off with a reversed vacuum cleaner or air hose of some sort to eliminate most of the spores.

Remember, unless it gets wet again it won't grow. If you do experience a sudden increase in allergies after you set the tree up again, you may want to get rid of it and buy a new one.
S Covey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Leaving house, wondering what to clean items with. Reply with quote

Thank-you so much for getting right back with me. We have been worrying about doing this right and not finding many answers. I'm sure others will find your answers helpful too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: