Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with pics of my water damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greeneyedchic75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Help with pics of my water damage Reply with quote

I am hoping I can get some advice. I live in Military housing and my house is over 50 years old. I have had alot of health issues since living in this house, chronic sinus infections, swollen nasal passages and have lost my sense of smell for months at a time. My husband has been having breathing problems and a horrible cough since we have lived in this house. He is actually seeing a pulmonary dr at the end of the month. I have been suspecting that my house has a mold problem . About a month ago I had black stuff growing on my bathroom wall. Maintnance came out and just pushed the wall right on through. I had a horrible water leak in between the walls and he said it had been probably leaking for a long time. Everything was wet and black and very smelly. The wood was all soggy and black. They just replaced the sheetrock and closed it up. It smells so bad now and my fatherinlaw was in town visiting and he smelled the mold strong. I am concerned now and think that maybe that is what has been making us sick. I took pictures of what inside the wall looked like and wonder if anyone can indentify any mold in these pictures. I also just sent my husband to lowes to buy a mold testing kit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it. I am just so worried now cause I have a three year old whose bedroom is beside where the leak was.

GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks like mold and smells like mold, then its probably mold.

Now that the wall is closed up, it will be hard to test with Lowes kit, you can still do the air sample in the bath.

If your sick, I would move as soon as posible. It looks like the mold has been there a long time. Call a Mold guy if you can aford it.

I wish I could give you some other advice, but I am in the same situation and If your not rich there is not much you can do.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like stachybotrys, but ya can't really tell unless you test it. But the long term water exposure and the velvety look suggest stachy. Not good. Can you get the owner or landlords to clean it up properly?
bobcat26tx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: military housing? Reply with quote

You mentioned military housing correct? Is this actual base housing, or the contracted/set aside housing?

I've been active duty military and have lived on numerous military bases and have had my share of problems.. The key to this one would be to test it. If you find evidence of a dangerous mold, present a copy of the lab report to the base housing manager (most likely a civilian) and ask that it be taken care of. I'd also take the lab result to your primary care manager to see if the medical department could also contact the housing manager. Finally, if the above doesn't work, you, or your husband should take the lab results and health risks (from the PCM) to his chain-of-command. More than likely someone prior to the base Commanding Officer will get it taken care of.

If all else fails, and you do indeed live on base housing, you might consider calling a local news station (they reported on Mold in airforce barracks here in Texas), or even your Representative. Beware that this could have negative consequences for your husband though.

Hope this helps ya some!
joy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: military housing - get out! Reply with quote

Hello,

The odds are that you have what is called "wet wall syndrome"..it is usually a cocktail of several different types of molds..the one mold that almost always exist in wet wall syndrome is stachybotrys. Since you said that the leak had been going on for a long time the odds are what you are seeing is stachybotyrs. Stachy needs chronic water intrustion to growm which is what you descibe.

I can only share from experience and countless hours of searching for answers over the past four years, what I know about Stachy, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy's to live in your home.

It made me cringe when you mentioned your three year old child. Please don't let mis-information keep you from getting out of the house. I have watch so many people not make the right decision because they listened to the wrong people. The sad reality is for some it's easy to listen to those who say that mold is not harmful because then you don't have to face the difficult job of moving out and all the obstacles that come with it. I would sooner live on the streets than live in a house with stachy in it. Don't give up..your child needs you to be stronger than you probably have ever had to be in your life.

Stachybotrys is deadly..it can cause permanent irreversible damage to ones health..

Please take the time to do some research..at the very least take the time to search this board and this website..there are many who have experinced what you are currently going thru.

It is obvious that you care otherwise you would not have found this discussion board...

I pray for you and your family to get what you need.

Joy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: