Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mold in Tenant Building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everevolving

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Mold in Tenant Building Reply with quote

I live in an apartment building that has 4 rental units. 3 of the 4 units (mine is the 4th) have had mold issues. I am being told that my apartment is fine, but nobody has done any testing to see for sure. A mold inspector came in and visually looked over my apartment, but didn't pul down cabinets or anything. He did the same with my downstairs neighbor and we were both told we were fine. Until the plumber came in to fix a leak in my downstairs apartment, and upon pulling down her cabinets saw a massive mold invasion.
My landlord still assures me I'm fine in my apartment, with this crazy thing about how the structure of this building was built with a frame surrounding my apartment that the mold would not be able to eat through.

I don't feel any ill effects from mold... I have been having a hard time breathing lately, but that's the only symptom I have. I do smell mold in my kitchen area, and have for months. I've let the landlord know this and she tells me the smell is cat pee. Clearly there is a difference between cat pee and mold... I know this. I know my apartment and it's odors.
And I know that I am a very clean tenant.

I want to break my lease bc I am not confident that my health and that of my childrens is not being compromised.
Is is safe to assume that if 3 of the 4 apartments have mold issues, and that mine has not been tested, that I do have mold issues? And is breaking a lease for this just that simple?
Also, since I've only been living here a couple of months, and was intending to stay for a while, who's responsible for my moving costs? My utility transfers? My packing to ensure mold doesn't come with me to my new space?

What a nightmare of a situation I'm dealing with.
Online information is great, but I'd love to hear from others that have been through this ordeal personally... What they were able to ask for from landlords, and what's not in their tenant rights.

Thanks in advance...
Any info would prove to be helpful!

Warmth,
Emily
LABS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily,

I suggest you seek legal advice. I live in Chicago and I always see advertisements for lawyers that break your lease for the cost of one month's rent.

If I were in your situation, I would write a letter detailing your concerns and request to break the lease. Send the letter certified mail with return receipt. You may find an amicable solution without going down the long road of litigation.

Without doing an investigation and tests, there's no way of saying whether you have a problem or not. The technical way of doing things is to have the assessment done and then share the results with your doctor. The mold inspector won't be qualified to determine if your breathing problems were caused by the mold levels.

Good luck!

www.IAQcomparisons.com
www.labcomparisons.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: