Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water damage on ceiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nestegger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Water damage on ceiling Reply with quote

Hello, haven't been here for a while but got lots of info and support when I needed it. We had a new roof and skylights put in 2 years ago and I was alarmed to see water damage adjacent to one of the skylights. No visible mold but I can only assume it's on the other side of the ceiling that I can't see. The roofer said the skylight had been "poorly sealed" and he re-sealed it. He wanted to put Kilz on the ceiling and paint over it but I thought I read here that mold actually likes Kilz. So my question is what's the prudent thing to do now? Remove that part of the ceiling? Also should the roofing company be liable for the repair? Thank you.

Terry
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every little brown stain means there is mold growing. Can you access the other side of the drywall through the attid perhaps?

It is usually pretty warm up by the skylights and stuff dries up pretty quickly.

I have seen some skylights get mold growing on them when there are no leaks, just condensation, so keep that in mind as a possible cause as well.
nestegger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldpro. as always thanks for the reply. The water spot is the width of the skylight - about 18 inches by 4-5 inches. No visible mold on the ceiling or skylight but can't access the "other side" of the ceiling to see what, if anything, is there. When our house was remediated 2+ years ago, the final air test showed 1 stachybotrys spore/m3 (in another room)and I guess those spores never die, so I feel cautious. What would you do?

Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: