Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wiebd re bleach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nestegger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: wiebd re bleach Reply with quote

Just wondering why you advised Orion not to clean with bleach? Thanks, Terry
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleach depends on sodium hypochlorite, same as pool chlorine, but its only 6% solution, then you dilute it by 80 to 90 percent more with water....then it needs a dwell time of 20 minutes to eat its way through the mold spore casing.....

Why introduce more water to an already too wet situation?
Why expose yourself to a biocide which will be toxic to you, your skin, your lungs and your eyes? Why expose anyone else to it?

Why damage materials by getting bleach on them? Or accidently spilling it in the wrong places?

Why kill the mold when it needs to be REMOVED? Dead mold is still bad for you....there is no need to kill it, when you are going to remove it anyway.

We rarely use any biocides, and we pass post remediation testing all the time.
nestegger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldpro, thanks for the information. What would you use then to clean surface mold off, say, a concrete sidewalk?

Terry
wiedb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: no bleach Reply with quote

I agree with moldpro - remove everything you can. We were told by a pathologist that specializes in mycotoxins, that because we cross contaminated our home with mycotoxins from another mold source that we should use ammonia to kill the cross contamination. We wiped everything down with a 50/50 mix of water and grocery store ammonia, not the scented stuff. Washed all washables with 2 cups ammonia added to the wash water. Bought a paint sprayer with an atomizer nozzle and sprayed our home with a 50/50 mix of ammonia & water. Use proper protection - a respirator with an approved cartridge for ammonia & goggles.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't understand exactly why it didn't work. But some of that was explained in other posts. The Clorox mixed in with the moldy clothes came out smelling horrible. I couldn't keep it anyhow. I could now smell a different smell but I couldn't tolerable it either. Maybe it was dead mold, which I'm very allergic to, and so I could still smell that. I found sending it out to the drycleaners only made a different smell that was ghastly!

I went to Lowe's and asked what to use on my driveway and that the dead mold spores were still in the cement's top layer. He said, Muriatic Acid kills everything. Seems acids change the molecules, hence it's no longer a mold spore. Does that sound right? Anyhow, I mixed it in a big plastic sprinkler with lots of water from hose. (careful not to get it on me or breathe it in) I poured it on the certain area of the driveway; I then hosed it off. The mold odor seemed to dissipate. I've done this a number of times. The acid does wear down the cement though. Just thought you should know.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mold on the driveway? It doesn't grow on concrete......algae perhaps? Not likely to be mold Is it wet all the time? Powerwash it and maybe a copper clear product to inhibit growth. My dad used to use salt to kill the moss on our back patio..

Mold is outside in the air all the time. It is part of nature and it belongs out there....Clean up any decaying matter outside....
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is dead mold that we brought here in our attic boxes (with penicillun or other) which we had to go through. I'm just as allergic to it dead as alive. It's not growing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: