Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Healthcare facility mold - need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joyyak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Healthcare facility mold - need advice Reply with quote

I am an RN in a healthcare facility housing about 50 people and with 40 employees. 3 weeks ago mold was found under some vinyl wallpaper. I pointed out OSHA guidelines for safe removal but am being ignored. This area is adjacent to the employee breakroom and the residential dining room and kitchen. Very worrisome to me. I cannot seem to get corporate to listen the the potential gravity of the situation if the materials are not handled properly.

Today the maintenance man was ordered to removed all the wood. I left the building, not wanting to be present. This occurred one hour before the residents were to be served dinner. The door between this hallway and the dining room is open during meals as they roll the dirty dishes into that hall.

What recourse is there to protect people? Despite my research, the maintenance man has NOT been instructed in safe removal, does not have impervious bags to place the wallboards into and has handled the walls without gloves, eye protection or respirator mask.

Isn't there any regulatory issue that says this cannot be done? I am worried about my residents in the building as they are all elderly and fragile.

Please share ideas or experiences similar to this so I can maybe feel better about letting this whole thing go.

Thank you.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPA has some guidelines on its website. They are pretty specific about the steps one should take, especially in medical buildings.... I think its EPA.gov then search under mold.

The vinyl wallpaper traps moisture behind it, the mold can then grow on the adhesive, the latex in the paint, or the cardboard on the drywall....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: