Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monolithic dome homes? Anyone have experience with these?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Monolithic dome homes? Anyone have experience with these? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with Monolithic Domes? They're made exclusively out of concrete over steel rebar with some polyurethane foam in the middle for insulation. If I can keep the inside moisture down, it would probably be okay but I am worried about the cement foundation sweating and molding.

I am looking into options for building an inexpensive home that is as mold-proof as possible. This seems to be very challenging. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edison invented a Mold, not like the king thats in our houses, but a Mold for a poured concret home. Anyone can use His Pattent as he gave it away, to anyone who wants to build houses out of cement.
jed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Timothy! I did look up Edison's concrete houses and I think the concept was basically a good one. The mold (as in cast mold) was very expensive, though, and had flaws. Maybe the way they now create these domes is an improvement on his idea...
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete can make for very strong structures. Breatheability and moisture permeability of the exterior is important. The humidity between the interior and the exterior needs to be able to equalize periodically (frequently) in order to keep moisture from moving back and forth within concrete. Moisture always moves from wet to dry. Efflorescence, that white salting you can see on foundations is an obvious indicator.

I thought one could use an inflate-able dome as the mould. Sort of like a jumpy at a kids birthday party or amusement park. Inflate the dome shaped bag with some high powered fans. Then cover it with Tyvek. Shoot the dome with a fiber fortified spray on stucco/gunite/cementious mix and let it harden. Maybe several thin layers so as not to deflate the balloon dome mold. Once its an inch thick or so you could set rebar over it and go at it with some real concrete. I am just making this process up as I go along.....But it would do away with an expensive Mold Help built mold or framework.

You might want to look into ICFs. They are concrete forms made of insulating foam. They go together like LEGOs and then are filled with concrete. Really strong and stable.

Whatever you do, don't cover concrete that could get wet with drywall. Stick with cementious plaster or fine grained stucco. Nothing organic to support the potential fungus growth is what you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: