Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What the heck is this??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMonroe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: What the heck is this?? Reply with quote

I keep finding this in my flowerbed. Starts in the evening as a small slathered layer of oarnge, then in the morning looks like this. After a few days it turns black. Here's a picture.

What is it?

DMonroe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind I found it, after a few minutes of searching..

Excerpt from wikipedia

Slime moulds (or Slime molds in American English) are peculiar protists that normally take the form of amoebae, but under certain conditions develop fruiting bodies that release spores, superficially similar to the sporangia of fungi. They should not be confused with true moulds, which are actually fungi. Although cosmopolitan in distribution, they are usually small and rarely noticed. There are several different groups.

Most notable are the plasmodial slime moulds or myxogastrids (also known as acellular or true slime moulds), where the feeding stage takes the form of a giant amoeba with thousands of nuclei, called a plasmodium. It is not divided by mold membranes, but rather is enclosed by a single outer one, and is thus like a single large mold. Most are smaller than a few centimetres, but the very largest reach areas of up to two square metres, making them the largest undivided cells known. Many have bright colours such as yellow, brown, and white. Under dry conditions they may form resting structures called sclerotia. Once produced, spores release biflagellate or amoeboid gametes, which fuse pairwise to produce new plasmodia.

I think its harmless it can move a millimeter an hour!! suh-weet!
Moldpro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its some sort of Slime mold. Its eating something, reduce the moisture level or dig up the area a dump it in the trash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: