Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should My Family & I Be Concerned? (Pictures)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjdotts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Should My Family & I Be Concerned? (Pictures) Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

I have possible toxic mold issues with my apartment and I would like everyone's input. MAYBE I AM JUST BEING PARANOID?!?!?

My family and I have numerous symptoms of toxic mold exposure. In the past three months, my children (2yr old & 4yr old) have been to the ER and both my wife and I have been to the ER with unexplained symptoms that after further review could possibly be toxic mold related. Some of my children’s fingernails have split in half and fallen off! For the first time in my life I went to the ER because of SEVERE digestive issues. I have always had a super strong stomach and hardly ever get sick with stomach/digestive problems and NEVER anything this bad!

The main source of the mold in our apartment is the air conditioner air handler in our utility closet. Shortly after we moved in (signed lease 12-30-2005), we noticed a black growth all over the bottom of the door & adjoining corner. I remember at the time that we were angry that the manager left it "dirty" like that for us to clean. My wife cleaned the door the best she could. I was mostly ignorant to toxic mold at the time so I wasn't concerned about my wife cleaning the door area; we just wanted a clean apartment. Although not leaking at that time, it was obvious that the air handler had leaked numerous times in the past. The carpet outside the door had a black tint to it so we rented a carpet cleaner and cleaned it shortly after moving in. The floor under the air handler is nearly solid black.

Naturally, we didn't start having leaks until the summer months (sometime in May 2006) when we started using the air conditioner. Since May, we have had constant leaks from the air handler. We have verbally reported the leaks to the managers, to the maintenance man and to the person they have contracted to repair the air conditioners for the apartment complex. Since May, one person or another has been to our apartment to repair the leak over 10 times. Every time, they spend a few minutes working and never fix the leak. It is STILL leaking as I write. On almost every occasion we have reported the leak, we have mentioned the black mold looking stuff and everyone seems unconcerned. The black mold looking stuff is also on nearly every exhaust vent in our apartment.

What do you think? Please HELP!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME & ATTENTION!

- KJDotts
Rozalilu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Show my family and I be concerned? Reply with quote

:roll: GET OUT!!!! I rented a tiny room for 3 months. I spent 3 to 4 days out of town, and each time I returned I became more sensitive to the smell. The air was just toxic, and that house had all the molds known to man. I also had a prior health condition before I moved in which became chronic, not to mention the cold/cold sweats, insomnia, foggy memory, rock hard muscles, my tongue started to swell, and became extremely coated. I told my boyfriend I couldn't breath, and started to have attacks. Thank God he's a fireman....... I was able to get a tank of oxygen to detox at his house. Man....I just packed up, and left at the end of June 2006. My health is quickly returning. However, the cleaning lady was in the other day and I became sick. The products used...negative 4 me. I got a headache so I laid on the front lawn for 2 hrs until I felt better in the Sacramento heat wave drinking distilled water. The man who is renting the house has been living in moldy homes for about 8 to 10 yrs. In short, his brain waves do not process reality. He thinks he going to clean up the mold himself, avoid the landlord, and invite me over for dinner w/his boy who is slow. Not to mention that he thinks my boyfriend and I are getting engaged. What a loser!! Take your family out of there asap, and deal w/any legal issues later. Rozalilu@comcast.net
I lived in an old moldy house for 3 months. I became so sick that I wanted to die. Hopeless. I thought it was due to an undiagnosed bladder infection. The toxic exposure just made it worst. Headachs, burning eyes, fatique, depression, respirtory, memory loss, slow speech, insomnia, hard muscles that felt full of toxins. cold/cold sweats, vomiting....etc. etc...anyone out there w/these health issues. Oh..I forgot swallowing, swollen and coated tongue. The guy who lives there doesn't think there's a problem, even though I was sick. He's not firing on all 4 cylinders. He's got brain damage in my view. Rozalilu@comcast.net
LABS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjdotts,

There a many factors when trying to determine if a home is making you sick. One issue is the presence of a contaminant. Another issue is your sensitivity to it. Every person is unique and may react differently.

I'll give you some of my thoughts but I first need to get more information.

Do you smell mold odors in your apartment? When you enter it, does it smell musty and moldy?

Thanks,

www.IAQcomparisons.com
www.labcomparisons.com
kjdotts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LABS wrote:
Do you smell mold odors in your apartment? When you enter it, does it smell musty and moldy?

YES! We always thought it was our trash or something when we came home after being gone for awhile. My wife has a better sense of smell than mine and she is always going around spraying air freshener. We also started buying odor locking trash bags to help with the odor but we still smell it (so I guess the trash is not the source). I can usually only smell it if we have been gone for several hours. I guess I get use to the smell in our apartment and don't notice it.

When we first moved in, the entire bottom of the door looked like the black mold area in the corner closeup. My wife cleaned the door except for that corner which is really tight and she couldn't get anything in there to clean. You can see a brown looking outline stain where the black mold looking stuff was. I hope my wife didn't expose herself to anything dangerous!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

- KJDotts
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feel better when you leave your apartment? Although it could take time to start feeling better because of all the mold you're living with.

The odor bags and spray only mask the mold smell. The spores are still there.

Make sure you wear a mask when you clean those areas.

Looks like it's gotten into the wood or particle board in your doorways. There's too much for you two to handle yourselves.
zombi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: GET OUT OF THERE!!! Reply with quote

This kind of landlord is in denial and will try to charge you for the remainder of time on your lease, so you will have to play hard yourself.

You need to take LOTS of photos and save them in a safe place (not your apartment!) You should do testing of all visible mold.

texas tech univ. health sciences center (www.indoorairresearch.net only charges $25 - 40 for tape lifts and they do a very good job) Important: have the most respected, non-family /non roomate person you know download the chain of custody form from their Mold Help, print it all out on one page and fill a line of it out as they take each of the samples, also take a photo of each sampling location. send the original of the form in with the sample(s) and check. You should also have them collect a large physical bulk sample of the most obvious mold pieces and save it in a ziplock bag - they should also fill out the chain of custody for that and take photos.

Remember, Poisoning you is not illegal. (!!!)

It is only something you can sue them for if you get seriously injured (long ddrawn out painful death, (with heirs that sue) or permanent mental and physical injuries of a child, not an adult- they don't live long enough to make it worthwhile for a lawyer.) and even then it will be almost impossible to get a lawyer unless somebody dies or is permanently injured and the mold is clearly responsible in the eyes of the law. (NEVER!) in practice this means that 99.9999999 10e^22 % of all of those who are injured by mold will not 'have a case'. Oh, and also some states cap damages for pain and suffering at amounts that make it impossible to get a lawyer even then. Yes, even if you die.

GET OUT OF THERE!!!

Remember the "Golden Rule"

"Those with the gold, rule"

They WILL try to get your money.. WHEN YOU HAVE THE TEST RESULTS go to the city dept. of building inspection AND the local health dept. MAKE SURE THEY TAKE PHOTOS AND FILE A FORMAL COMPLAINT. (They will often probably try to get out of doing anything - esp. older, male inspectors who are probably on a first name basis with your landlord at the local brothels.. Seriously.. Don't trust any public agency to help you - if they do great but they usually don't.. PROTECT YOURSELF..

You need a HEPA filter air cleaner - maybe several - going in your apt. (bedroom best) and as much fresh air as possible in there.. Air conditioners breed mold.. try to do without. Get foaming AC cleaner and use it.. Also get alpha-lipoic acid and fish oil , Vitamins C, E, selenium, zinc, NAC 2x a day, etc. for yourself and your kids..

GET OUT OF THERE!!!

While you still can.. When you don't have a job, you can't rent. (Then you will be stuck, getting sicker and sicker! Thats what happened to me..)

DON'T TRUST OTHERS TO HELP YOU - YOU HAVE TO HELP YOURSELF.
zombi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: The reason you don't smell it is Reply with quote

THE MOLD IS KILLING YOUR OLFACTORY NEURONS.

If you stay too long you will LOSE YOUR SENSE OF SMELL FOR GOOD..

seriously.. And that will be the LEAST of your worries..

You can also lose feeling in your fingertips, fingers, ruin your eyesight.. lose your hearing.. (ringing in ears) damage your short and long term memory..

This will make it very hard to work.. esp. in crappy jobs.. it can ruin your life.. so GET OUT OF THERE....

Cholestyramine (RX medication - you need a doctor to prescribe it) can detoxify you to some extent.. (decrease toxin buildup but it does not prevent the toxins from damaging your body on the first go round..)

See moldwarriors.com and chronicneurotoxins.com

FLEE, RUN, LEAVE, GO..

You are a PARENT.. its not just you. Children are especially susceptible to injury from toxic mold.. it will make them permanently sensitive to it. (like me, you don't want this.. you can't go into stores w/smells, etc.)

GET OUT OF THERE....
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing you want desperately to do is bring yourself and your child somewhere to breath in better cleaner air. That in itself will improve your present condition and hopefully give you back your good health.

GET OUT! No one but you cares about you! :(
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pics you definitely have several areas of mold growth. I would be concerned.
Angeleyes68

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!! If the mold is visable! Especially thru the walls. Unfortantly, I have been going thru this same ordeal for 2 YEARS after buying a brand new home. I have no sense of smell and have been diganosed once with mold colonies growing in my nose..My son has not been the same sense being exposed to mold, he is 6 years old. Has a lot of digestional problems

Angeleyes68
zombi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: MOVE!!! Reply with quote

Angeleyes,

You ONLY have ONE LIFE. Children, in particular, need to have FRESH air, because their brains grow rapidly and mold exposure during the formative years seems particularly hard on them. Nomatter what their age, many people end up with permanent neurological issues after mold exposure.

Its my strong feeling that the younger a person is, the more harm mold does.. It also harms older people (over 40+) a lot because the inflammation can bring on vascular dementia, IMO.

Short term, you need to practice harm reduction in every possible way and don't be a passive participant in your own destruction.

1.) Make a plan to fix the situation and/or move and follow it.
2.) Do whatever it takes to ensure that the air you are breathing is as clean as you can possibly make it. This means buying several HEPA air cleaners for very cold or cold days and putting screens in the windows and getting as much ventilation into your house as you can on days in which you can, especially at night. If you need fans to push that air throughyour house, by all means, get them. Don't let the bad air build up in your home.
3.) Buy that "Mold Warriors" book and educate yourself about the other things you can do.. (CSM)
GoTimothy2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you crazy, move the F out of that place.

The looks of that mold is making me sick.

I am very sick from mold in my home. I moved out 2 years ago and I still have symptoms. THere wasn't half that much mold in my home but I lived there 13 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: