Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strong odor outside house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsaph

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Strong odor outside house Reply with quote

We have begun to smell a strong odor outside of our house and I wondered if it could be a mold. We have a large cedar deck on one side of the house. I have also smelled the same odor on the other side of the house as well. It is a hard smell to describe, other than you know it isn't right! Other information that may help - we have many pine trees in the yard, a sprinkler system, gravel driveway, vinyl siding. We live in northern Connecticut. Please ask for further information if you think you can help me, or at least point me in the right direction. I appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you!
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're walking outside where does the strong odor seem to come from? Sniff around so you at least know what area this odor is coming from.

I have to say I've had mushrooms growing in my yard and they stunk! And other weird plants smell too. Just a thought.

:)
lsaph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought. We did have mushrooms at a previous house that stunk, but this is a different smell. It is particularly strong at the deck so I thought maybe someone knew of a mold that could be the cause under a cedar deck. In the wood maybe? Now today it is cold here, just at freezing and I don't smell anything. Yesterday afternoon at 3 pm when it was around 45 degrees or so, the odor was terrible.

Thanks for replying. I'd appreciate any others as well!
Moldpro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an earthy musty smell? there are many types of fungus that would be happy to eat your deck. Molds are fungi, but fungi are more than molds.

Can you get under the deck to see what is going on?

Perhaps there is something dead under there?
Quela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to state the obvious but any wildlife in the area? Dead mice/squirrels, other rodents cast one heck of a strong nauseating odor and would definately subside when the temperature drops because it reduces the rate of decay. Part of those microorganisms would be fungi so I guess you could consider it that but not a threatening sort or even long term. Maybe even a Tom cat wandering around liking your cedar deck and marking and/or bringing snacks under the deck? The good news is that if something curled up and died, the odor will eventually go away. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: