Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ceiling exhaust fan in bathroom-MoldPro pls check this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suggi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Ceiling exhaust fan in bathroom-MoldPro pls check this Reply with quote

Tried to send this PM to MoldPro but it did not go so here it is. Maybe someone else can benefit from the answer also.

When we had the attic remediated we also had them replace the very old exhaust fan and ductwork vented through the attic out the roof. They said the motor was pretty moldy and that is common with exhaust fans and they should replace them every year. They fogged the bathroom as a precaution. Hubby thinks they just want $1,000 or more every year to come out and change fans. I have never known of anyone replacing their fans yearly and would be afraid to do it myself anyway for fear of spreading spores in the attic/bathroom. The remediator also said NEVER vacuum your bathroom exhaust fan so need your input here also.

The fan has grillwork and I get up there and clean the dust off the grillwork about once or 2x/month as we use it a lot and I also use a garden misting bottle with Moldzyme (listed on this Mold Help) while the fan is running misting through the grillwork. My husband thinks the grillwork part probably comes off but I haven't tried that as it is too cold to clean outside and don't want to do it in the kitchen sink in case there are spores. I have had enough problems.

Do you think this will keep mold in the unit under control??? Hubby says no way is he going to change the fan every year. The old round fan had a cover and it pulled from the sides. This square one pulls from the bottom. Did I make a mistake getting this type of fan?

It is very windy out and I thought I felt a draft in the bathroom -- you guessed it -- I hung a string over the shower rod under the exhaust vent and it moves back and forth when the wind blows. Does this mean if there is any mold up there already (changed fans in September) it is blowing down into the bathroom? Hubby checked from inside the attic when the ductwork was off and said the flap on the outside vent seemed to close well. However, apparently some air blows in anyway. Are we in trouble???? He was the one that wanted the quiet square one with the grillwork and not the noisy round one with the cover. I guess it doesn't really make that much difference. The air probably came in the bathroom from outside on the sides of the fan before - just less noticeable.

Please advise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your expert advice.
Moldpro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are being overly concerned. Its just dust that catches on the parts. I am sure there are mold spores and all kinds of airborne contaminants in the dust, but its the same stuff that's behind your couch and under the stove.....

I vaccuum mine out, with a HEPA vacuum every year or so. IMO, its not that big of a deal. The fans are fairly cheap for the basic ones. and only like $75 for an expensive one..
suggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MoldPro -- I guess they just wanted some easy money yearly. I appreciate your saving us that money. I'll just keep cleaning it and misting it with the fan on. The other one was here when we moved in 11 years ago so it probably took at least that long to get full of mold and at 69 I probably won't have to worry about it in another 11 years if hubby refuses to replace it occasionally.

Your advice is gold.

I wish those jerks would find another Mold Help to pick on -- they are really doing a number on this one. All we can do is ignore them and maybe they will go away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: