Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got Air Test Done... What does it mean??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robpat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Got Air Test Done... What does it mean?? Reply with quote

Hello - I bought a house and started to suspect a problem with mold. When you turn on the attic fan, it draws a musty smell from the cracks of the walls etc. We keep it turned down much lower now and make sure windows are open and it doesn't seem to be bad.

The former residents had the ducts cleaned ( I saw the plugs in the ducts) they had a media filter put in (6" thick type thing) on a concrete wall in the basement, there was yellow paint on the side that faced the ground (it's a walkout), so I suspected it was mold retardent.

So I got a test done and here's what it came back as the following

The inspector didn't seem to be too concerned with it, though he had me clean an area of the cement wall that had some mold growing near the bottom with ammonia mixture, and steel wool, and another spot.

he mentioned that the penicillum is not real high, but just the fact that it's higher than the outdoor sample makes him a little concerned becuase it implies there's an indoor source.

I was wanting to get some other opinions out there

Also, if I suspect the previous owners had a LARGER problem at one time, but didn't report it, is there a way to find out if they had a test done and what the results were. If it was a substantially lower than outside, like it currently is, I don't know that I would expect them to disclose it, as it seems like all houses will have some level of mold, but if at one time it was MUCH higher and was a problem they should have said.

Thank you[/img]
Toxic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, obpat, and welcome to The Mold Help Organization. Chris (Austin Dura_clean) will probably give you a more technical answer as I specialize in the health aspects in regards to all types of fungi, and it is quite interesting.

According to you, your inspector stated that there was none to little cause for concern is right and somewhat wrong. Firstly, I believe the windows are obviously creating a slight condensation problem and with numbers like that, it may be a contributing factor. Your umbers are very low and could either be a continuing annoyance or the beginning of a mold problem caused by some ype of water intrusion.

The only way I would know how to gain a solution to the problem would be through process of elimination. Have you tried a de-humidifier first? If so, have you cleaned it per manufacturer's instruction? If not, I would recommend you start there. Ensure you purchase the right size for the square footage?

We must consider everything before jumping to conclusions.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
robpat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan

thank you for your help! I really appreciate it. I have not tried a dehumidifier yet. He did mention that as well, especially in the workshop room that had the mold. That room is small and doesn't get vented easily so it would make sense there for sure.

As far as throughout the house, what kind of dehumidifier and how low do you take your humidity? I mean, you don't want to get it so low it's uncomfortalbe, right?
Toxic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. However, I am not familiar with the top brands. You might want to do some research with Consumer Reports.

Start with that and see if it makes a difference. Good luck.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
duraclean_austin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is higher than outside, depending on who you talk to to, it may not be high enough to justify any action.

It there a water source, or previous damage?

Austin Mold

Carpet Cleaning Austin

Air Duct Cleaning Austin

Water Damage Austin
Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my point of view about the results (I'm far away from USA, so maybe my points are not valid in your Country):

1. I'm concerned about the Stachybotrys spores concentration of 21 Spores /m in the basement. Was there a waterdamage ? The amount of spores is low, but since the spores of that species are quite large and heavy the number of spores in the air is usually low. But in my Country that species is refered as a very toxic species, so also a low concentration would be quoted as dangerous.

2. In the case of Aspergillus / Penicillium concentration I agree with Chris (Austin Dura_clean), because species of both genera produce a large amount of spores and there is a great variation within a short time span.
So both is possible an outdoor or an indoor source (If in the room for a longer time period a high humidity in the air or some walls shows higher moisture, then it is more likely an indoor source).
However it would be interesting to know if outside and in the rooms the same or different species occur (viable sampling of mold is necessary for identification of the species).

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but I hope I can help you.

Best regards

Alexander
Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Susan,

thank you very much for your reply, but I'm sorry, I am a biologist and no physician. I have send an email to you.

With best regards

Alexander
duraclean_austin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it must be to long since I have read on of these, I did not see the Stachybotrys!!

That is absolutely a problem, and there has defiantly been water damage.

You need to fix the water intrusion, and remove the damaged material, under some containment, then wipe the area...
Toxic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alexander,

I am sorry but I did not receive your email. Please resend it to susan@mold-help.org

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Susan
johnny help

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Hello!

Im new to the Mold Help. really looking forward to meeting new people, seeing what they have to say and just really chilling on some social network other than facebook. bleh. like i said, i am me, now who are you?

Peace out, John from Personal Loans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: