Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read (long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tug_slug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Please Read (long) Reply with quote

First let me say that I had the townhouse inspected and the inspector found no mold.

I purchased a townhouse on Oct 30, 2009, within a week started to smell an extremely strong must smell coming from the crawl space and cavity that the air vent runs through in the upstairs bathroom. I called the HOA, they in turn sent out a repair man who called a mold remediater. Within minutes he identified the water source (broken drain pipe) in the crawl spacewhich was repaired by the HOA, two days later the c/s was remediated for mold, the following day the repairman started to put down a vapor barrier in the c/s but didn't finish due to time.

2 days later I was still feeling light headed, had a killer headache and my skin and eyes were extremely irritated so I went down into the crawl space again and found more water damage this time on the opposite end of the crawl space. I contacted the HOA and they once again sent over the maintenance man. After a few minutes he said the water was coming from a broken sewage pipe on the other side of the foundation which was the HOA repaired within a week. (Keep in mind the crawl space had already been remediated for mold before they fixed the water damage and allowed the crawl space to properly dry)

An 8 foot section in the ceiling of the living room clearly had water damage but had been repaired, beings I was still getting light headed and had skin and eye irritation and there was an extremely strong musty smell coming from the bathroom air vent I contacted the listing agent and asked what had happened. The seller said that when they were putting in a new tub he cross threaded the drain fitting and which had leaked and ruined the drywall on the ceiling so they went ahead and replaced it, he said he rented 2 industrial fans and throughly dried it out before they put the new dry wall up but it had been wet for about 2 days and never did check for mold.

Im thinking that because the crawl space already had mold and the ceiling/floor joists had been wet for 2 days mold had quickly grown not just on the dry wall but the floor joists as well. I've already had air tests done by a Industrial Hygienist but wont know the results for another 4 days. The Engineer that inspected the townhouse said because the musty smell is so strong in the bathroom there's definitely something going on there but didn't want to say anything more until the test results came back.

My question is, would the seller be responsible for the mold beings the area that is contaminated was caused by him? Iíve already spent close to $2000 and have had to move out of my townhouse and am now renting an apartment because both me and my girlfriend become ill if we stay there longer than a few minutes.

Also, when the IH came she checked for moisture in the walls but none was found, is it possible for mold to still be an issue if it doesn't have any water to grow?

Thanks in advance

Tug
tug_slug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 views and no replies?
duraclean_austin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by fix??

Are the removing water damaged materials, or just painting over them?

Liability will obviously depend on what state you are in, in Texas you have to disclose water damage if you sell a property, but of course you have to have proof they at least should have known about it.

The home inspector may also have a liability...but of course I am not a lawyer...

Austin Mold

Carpet Cleaning Austin

Air Duct Cleaning Austin

Water Damage Austin
tug_slug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin, thank you for responding.

I live in Colorado and just moved here from California so Im not sure about the laws. I do know that the inspector is negligent and missed the flooding in the crawl space and the lack of ventilation in the attic. I talked to an attorney about the inspector and he said according to the contract I signed it clearly states the inspector is only liable for the amount that was paid for the inspection which has already been refunded to me.

My realtor suggested the inspector so naturally I thought this was someone who they'd worked with before and he was competent at his job little did I know that because of his incompetency that I could possibly lose a townhouse I just purchased a little over a month ago.
Toxic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason most people don't reply to your inquiry is that people shy away from legal matters as precluded by law. These are questions you should be asking a lawyer, not us.

If I were you I would contact the nearest BAR Association and ask for a referral for an environmental or real estate lawyer. The cost is a lot less for the initial fee if you utilize the BAR Association.

Asking for legal advice on a discussion board is asking for trouble.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
tug_slug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and thank you.

I finally came to the conclusion that HOA, the seller and the Inspector aren't going to help me if anything their going to avoid me like the plague so I retained an attorney, thats the good news. The bad news is he said getting this sorted out and getting reimbursed for my losses could take up to 4 years.

I do have one last question. All my furniture has been in the townhouse for about 6 weeks, what are the chances everything is contaminated and can no longer be used? I dont want to have to replace everything I own if I dont have to.

l cant believe I purchased a townhouse on 10/30/09 and unless something dramatic happens I might actually have to let the property go into foreclosure. I'll talk to both my attorney and the bank tomorrow to see what my options are.

Thanks again
tug_slug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toxic wrote:

Now, to the matter at hand. Whoever said on this board that if you wash all clothing twice with a cup of bleach needs to have their head examined.

Per load of laundry:
1 cup detergent
1/2 cup powdered hydrogen peroxide
2 Tblspoons Nizoral Ketaconazole Shampoo (available at most grocery or mold stores)

Lucite, resin, or case goods furniture can be wiped down with TSP, bleach and warm water, or something similiar like Murphey's Oil Soap.

Unfortunately, upholstered goods, pillows and mattresses generally act as a sponge and should be disguarded. Sometimes people don't feel like much of this simple remedies work, but even the CDC (which I often disagree with) concurs with me on this one (or perhaps I concur with them).

I hoped I was able to assist you.

Cheers,
Susan

Susan you helped quite a bit thank you.

Like I said in my PM I called the mold remediater and he said that mold without the 3 basic ingredients will die within 3 days but after doing some research it appears he's wrong. Mold doesnt die but rather it becomes dormant waiting for the right conditions to become active again once that happens the entire process starts all over again.

My attorney warned me that this could become quite expensive and take quite a long time to settle all because I made the wrong choice in my the home I bought I may lose everything I own and could very possibly have to file bankruptcy.

Where can I purchase powdered hydrogen peroxide? I've never heard of it. I realize Im going to have to get rid of my pillows, and mattresses but if I wipe down my bedroom furniture with either bleach and warm water or Murphys Oil I should be ok, correct? Whats TSP?

I dont know what I've done to deserve this I really dont all I wanted to do is own my own home.

I was going to make another donation but under the circumstances Im afraid Im going to have to save every penny I have... sorry.
Toxic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope things are going better for you. For future knowledge, I hate it when people quote me on this board as I am a somewhat private person.

Take care and God bless. I hope you are doing alright with your girlfriend.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
tug_slug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke up with my girlfriend Susan, dealing with this mold has consumed my every thought, all I think about is how in the world Im going to get into a mold free enviornment when everything I own has just enough mold to make me ill.

My girlfriend is one of those nay sayers, she believes that the slight allergic symptoms are being caused by something else. I told her one of these days shes going to run out of excuses and accept that her newly acquired allergy symptoms are from the mold that we inhaled for 6 weeks

Ive already accepted the fact that the townhouse is gone, now Im trying to figure out how I can get my belongings out of it and put in a storage space so hopefully I can get access those things in 2-3 years.

I've started taking antifungals a week ago but it's to soon to know if their going to work According to the few people I've talked to the my Dr that prescribed them they could literally take months to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: