Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Toxic and anyone - feel helpless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suggi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Question for Toxic and anyone - feel helpless Reply with quote

I live in Massachusetts which has had way too much rain. I have a 4 ft x 4 ft, 2 ft deep pit with the sewer pipe and sump pump. I had rivers coming in from all over 2 weeks ago from that storm and again from this latest storm. Most of the rivers have dried up again but the pump runs constantly as water is coming up from underneath the house into the pit. My dehumidifier died and I ordered another one but the humidity is 70% down there and this weekend I wanted to wash the floor with lysol and fog the basement with (can't name it I think) an environmentally safe mold killer and encapsulator before I put on the dehumiidifier. I am 72 and have been very sick with Crohn's disease and it is an effort to do anything right now.

My thinking was if I put the dehumidifier on that came today - the fan runs all the time now on these units even when not dehumidifying - it will be blowing mold spores all over and up into the living area and that may be worse. My husband is also sickly but works so he can't help me until Saturday and I don't think I can do it alone.

Should I just wait until the basement is cleaned and fogged before using the dehumidifier. I had professional mold remendiation in the basement - and some upstairs because the mold was only visable in the basement but the mold spore count upstairs was really bad - about 4 or 5 years ago and this time do not have any visable evidence of mold - just that high humidity and a pit full of water and probably a very damp floor from the water under it. That is why we fog for prevention after water intrusion. If I open the basement window the sump pump water goes by there in front of the bushes about 4 feet away so I am even afraid to open the window even though today is the first day without any rain. The mold count was stated as moderate today but I don't know if that can be counted with my constant wet mulch from the sump pump constantly pouring out water out there.

We cleaned the floor and fogged after the first storm - has to be dry to kill anything so hoping it left some residue behind. The humidity is worrying me though. Any advice would be appreciated. If I put the dehumidifier on and had a problem upstairs from it blowing spores up there I would die. The remediation cost over $30,000 and we have no money. I had to cash in my IRA and used the rest of the equity loan to pay for the remediation that time.

Thank you.
suggi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add I normally have an air purifier in the basement (and upstairs too) but took it upstairs when I heard how much rain we were going to get as I knew it would come in. We have spent much on trying to fix the water problem also.

I can not put that back down there either because of the high humidity and there are 2 small puddles left. I cleaned the others up but had an attack and had to abandon mopping up. Now the pain is too bad to go back down there and finish.

Actually I am lucky as most of Massachusetts is still under water and I did not have 6 feet of water down there. However, because of past problems is why I need to know about whether the dehumidifier would do any harm as far as spreading spores which I am sure are down there in 70% humidity. Why are they making dehumidiofiers with the fan running 24/7 now? Most people I know are turning them off and then back on when the humidity gets high but that defeats the purpose of a dehumidifier which is supposed to keep the humidity at a certain level - like the older ones where the fan shut off when the comperessor did. Actually I heard on the news reporting mold problems here that if you ever had a mold problem DO NOT use fans to dry out the basement as that spreads spores so I guess that is why I need advice re: the dehumidifier now or after the washing and fogging.

Thanks much.

PS I was tested back then and have high levels of mycotoxins in my blood so I really want to do the right thing.

Hope you can advise me.
suggi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, me again

I just realized the humidity upstairs throughout the house is at 60% - is this a problem also? If I put the dehumidifier on upstairs will it pull the air from the basement if I do not have the one in the basement on at the same time?

Sorry for so many questions but being so sick doesn't help - I think bad pain does something to the thinking process.
Toxic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Suggi,

First and foremost, I am so sorry that you have had such problems. This disturbs me that the humidity is so high. Chris Rad, who sits on our board, is a professional mold remediator in Texas; one of the top states known for mold problems. He has told me several times that despite what the CDC or other so called "experts" state, "I've remediated hundreds of buildings and you know that every building had only one thing in common, that they all had a water intrusion problem, not humidity." Whatever the problem may be, humidity this high is simply not healthy. The biggest problem with dehumidifiers is that most people do not maintain them on a regular basis, particularly when it comes to hygiene. Dehumidifiers should be cleaned in high humidity areas at least once a week or the dehumidifier may possibly exacerbate the problem. Additionally, you may want to bring in a mold inspector who has a trained canine, which may determine if you have some hidden mold or an undetected water intrusion problem. These experts have highly trained dogs who can ferret out many hidden problems that not even infrared can capture. If you need additional air purification, make sure that you use air purifiers that utilize UV light. This is extremely important. I am also concerned about the fan you mentioned. Yes, you are correct. . . The fan can and probably will blow spores everywhere. Please heed my warnings as I know personally from experience and have spoken to thousands of mold victims over the years. I always ask very pertinent questions and have seen too many deaths and loss due to this scourge. Due to Dr. A. V. Constantini with the World Health Organization, Crohn's Disease is one of the fourteen diseases that mold patients are predisposed for. It appears to me (from a personal opinion, mind you) that you may have possibly contracted this affliction due to previous mold exposure since Crohn's is a relatively rare disease.

Now, I want you to know that "fogging" and sealing your basement is not the answer. Basements are very common for mold problems. First of all, ensure that the basement is the real problem and if you have any testing, please make sure that viable (vs. non-viable) testing is done. If so, please contact us if you care to and our team of advisors can assist you in any way we can. I would like to refer to our IAQ experts for assistance. The Mold Help Organization is a non-profit entity who does not gain anything by providing assistance.

Lastly, I would like to request all who have benefited from the assistance of The Mold Help Organization to please help us to provide more help over the years as we have kindly provided to the public for nearly the past decade. Please, please give whatever you can with a tax deductable gift that can help us what we do best. . . Help people so they can help themselves. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Susan
The information on this website is strictly layman's advice and should not be construed as professional information. For more information, please view our online resources at www.mold-help.org, www.mold-help.com, and www.mold-survivor.com before posting your question. Additionally, for a small donation we can call you for assistance. See front page of www.mold-help.org for more information.
duraclean_austin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow the fan OUT the window, demolish EVERYTHING organic that got touched with water...

Duraclean Austin
1811 W Ben White Blvd
Austin Tx 78745
512 442 5326
hensleyac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a mold remediator in NW Indiana. You mention fogging a couple times. While fogging can be part of the solution, the application of a broad spectrum fungicide prior to fogging an antimicrobial is a very important step you don't want to miss.

Also, it came to mind that you should be sure the gutter downspouts and grading around the house properly shed water away from the home. I'm always amazed at the surprise of customers when I point out that the home is reverse graded and the gutters drain right next to the foundation.

Remember, do what you can to keep as much water as possible from ever reaching your foundation and entering your sump pit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: