Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index Mold Help Discussion Board
Information, answers, solutions. . .

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSoBizy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Test back! Reply with quote

Well, today we got the news over the phone...I still haven't seen the actual report.

It's stachy! How can this be happening again?

I am tired and frustrated beyond belief. We have been out of the first mold house 8 months now...and now we face this nightmare over again!

I don't know how to tell my kids that this slimy black mold has once again envaded our home due to a water leak in the garage. We just got settled and have been working on repairing our immune systems. I feel like they are living with just a shadow of a mom due to all the illness this has caused.

I am so overwhelmed I can't even seem to cry. I am numb. I have no idea what to do or if this can be remediated. Waiting to see the physical report is agonizing.

Any advice would be helpful.

Nicole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Test back! Reply with quote

I don't know how to tell my kids that this slimy black mold has once again envaded our home due to a water leak in the garage. We just got settled and have been working on repairing our immune systems. I feel like they are living with just a shadow of a mom due to all the illness this has caused.

I am so overwhelmed I can't even seem to cry. I am numb. I have no idea what to do or if this can be remediated. Waiting to see the physical report is agonizing.

Any advice would be helpful.
Oh Noooooooooooooooo Nicole. :cry: unmoldy [[[[[[[hugz]]]]]] Darn. In your one post you said the count was so High at the other house. Some of the stakkys either managed to tag along to your new place, or the stuff is all around that area. I know it is all around here. High air mold count. This area has so many grain elevators around. I pray the physical report is a low count. And MAYBE it can be remediated. These darn molds. Saw a post somewhere, about Home and Gardens had an article that molds weren't that big a deal. All last summer, called police, EPA, etc etc after neighbors pool busted. Black. green, and white slimy molds outside. Now they got in here. Not all black molds means stakkys, etc but thought this was ridiculous. And I used to have composts bins and was outside all the time. This stuff killed my flowers...and shrubs.. Wanted to let you know we all are with you in support!!! Keep us informed!
ari

by John Fuchs

Leaves are an excellent way to add organic matter to the garden. However, using raw—or unprocessed—leaves has some drawbacks. Raw leaves are more acidic than composted leaves, and studies have shown that they take nutrients from the soil—particularly nitrogen—as they decompose. Because of this nitrogen depletion, adding raw leaves to your garden can reduce the yield of vegetable crops.

The solution to the problem is to compost the leaves and add the compost to the garden. The drawback to this approach is the time required to make the compost. In northern climates, it is even more difficult and time-consuming to make compost, because the leaves freeze solid, and the breakdown of the leaves is often incomplete come springtime.

A good compromise is to make and use leaf mold. Leaf mold is a halfway step in the process that turns raw leaves into composted matter. To make leaf mold, take raw leaves and shred them by running a lawnmower over the leaves. The shredding of the leaves greatly accelerates the breaking down process. I empty the mower bag into a plastic bag and add a handful of lime (to counter the acidity of the leaves) and a cupful of blood meal (to provide nitrogen). Then I dampen the leaves and shake the bag well.

Every few weeks, I open the bag and stir up the leaves. When the leaf mold freezes, I break it up as much as possible. Come springtime, the bags are full of friable black leaf mold which I spread right over the garden plot and till in. Studies have shown that leaf mold holds at least five times as much moisture as ordinary topsoil, so I always apply it to my flower beds instead of peat moss.

The advantages of leaf mold are many. It provides the tilth and moisture-holding capacity of compost and peat moss, but it’s easier to make than compost and far cheaper than peat moss. While it doesn’t provide as much nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium as manure, it is rich in calcium and magnesium, which are essential for healthy vegetables. Best of all, the raw materials of leaf mold—leaves—are abundant in much of North America.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole, I am so very sorry. I just cannot imagine what you are going through although I do know that many of us have had this problem a second time. The very thought of it just stuns me.

Last week we were working in a school that had mold. I noticed about an hour into our training my husband's eyes were blood red and the lids kinda turn out. I whispered and asked him if he thought he was being triggered. Yes, he said. We stayed another two hours (bad thing) and he has been sick ever since with severe headache. Last night we scrubbed him with sea salt. No headache today. From now on, he will just have to leave if he feels triggered. My only reaction has been that I have wanted to sleep 24/24.

Nicole, I have no suggestions for you, but wanted you to know that I care and my heart aches for you and your family.
Margie
Toxic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the only thing you can do for your family's health, move again. I know it's a lot to ask of them but it's better than breathing through a respirator!

I am not going to mention the name but a well known family won a 2 million dollar settlement because the builders of their home did a shoddy job and the family had stachy in their home. The family got sick, they lost their home, belongingings, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Well, they finally got their money and moved to this lovely place and you know what? They had stachy again. In the interim, the husband; a perfectly healthy 38 year old man suffered 2 heart attacks, plus a strange neck mass, the son has constant headaches ( Worse than migraines, these set him over the edge to the point of suicide), plus constant nose bleeds, and the daughter has chronic MS, as does the wife. These problems all began after the settlement.

Health is far more important than inconvenience. Get out of there as soon as possible. I know it is easier said than done, but your health and that of your family is far more important at this juncture.
OSoBizy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Test Back Reply with quote

Thanks for all the post! I am very stressed out. I should get the physical reports today. If this can't be remediated or the area is larger then I think then we will have to find yet another place to live!

They say we can only get what we can handle...I am about ready to crumble. I just keep praying!

Thank you everone for the kind words and advice. I'll let you know what the actual report says when I have it in my hands!

Nicole
Teresa Van Deusen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole,
Mold is hell. You keep praying and so will we. That seems to be the best thing. At least you can explain the problem and it is not a mystery.
Try to focus on getting out. You do not want to be there during remediation and moving on is the place to put your energy. I understand where you are firsthand. This too shall pass.
When you are settled in a safe home, you might want to consider counseling for your children. My kids were eventually treated for PTSD. The younger had a fabulous art therapist. The teenager, a dynamic open minded therapist. All of us did a session of "rapid release eye movement" therapy. It has meant the world to our recovery, when we were settled enough to take the time to "let down". Don't worry about it now. Your kids will follow you to hell and back, trust me. They trust you and it sounds like you are commited to doing the right thing. They will heal. So will you. Just hang in there and get to a safe place.
Keep us posted.
Best of Luck,
Teresa
Toxic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Dr. Michael Gray, Stachybotrys, along with Chaetomium can rarely be remediated. Even if you had the place remediated, you are so hypersensititized you could never live in the same building where mold remediation had taken place. Just remember this. New construction is a very "iffy" proposition, but at this point it is probably your best bet. You will just probably have to downsize for cost and look for quality instead.
OSoBizy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Test Back! Reply with quote

Theresa and Toxic,

We are looking into moving again. I know how hypersensitive we are...it's awful. It's Spring Break here and I canceled my plans to go out of town so I can focus on making the best choices for our family.

Toxic, we have already downsized from 3000 sq ft to 1350 sq ft. This was actaully a super townhouse (excluding this new waterleak) and our landlord is a good person. He is taking action to help this situation not like our previous landlord.

I do know I need to make sure we are in a mold free enviroment. Our health is of the upmost importance.

Theresa, thanks for recomending the eye therapy...I have heard good things about this. I have a Neuropychology therapist I am seeing. I will certainly ask her about this technique once things get a little settled around here.

Today I am handling things better, stronger outlook. I am just praying to get into a mold free enviroment soon and the kids back to some normalcy.

Thanks for all your support. You guys are the greatest!

Nicole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mold Help Discussion Board Forum Index -> Mold Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: